Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XV250 Virago - Carby Freezing

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by stoker, Jun 27, 2006.

1. I live in north-east Victoria and lately we've been having temperatures down to -8 degrees overnight and early morning. I've been told the carby warmers are working (by the bike shop mechanic), but the carby is still freezing up. The mechanic informs me that he doesn't get much of a call for this problem as most people don't ride in those temperatures, but he tells me that it still shouldn't happen. Has anyone experienced this problem or know how to overcome it please, as the mechanic is not sure what to do?

2. What you can do is try and get a source of heated air for teh carb intake. Go to your auto parts store and get a length of the aluminium corrugated heater ducting (it's about 50mm in diameter). Fasten it with some wire so that it either picks up air behind teh radiator near the water inlet at the top of radiator, or if aircooled from behind the cylinders, so it sucks air from between teh cooling fins. Now run that piece of hose into the air cleaner inlet and tape it on with some duct tape. This stuff is pretty flexible. It's O.K to close up the air cleaner inlet a bit with some excess duct tape, just don't expect full throttle to be as impressive as it was.
    This should stop pretty much all carb icing. Be sure to warm bike up a little first before taking off to get the maximum effect.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Drive. I rate riding over driving, but thats way too cold.

As for the problem, Typhoon has a top idea, only problem is the air cleaner is in the right (looking forward from rear) side pod and the intake of the pod is too small to jam a piece of pipe into.

Investigate fitting a new carbie warmer if there is one with a higher output.
    Investigate fitting a extra carbie wamer (or more on a switch and relay to switch off in summer) under the fuel tank (the air intake runs within the frame.

The air at -8 is cold, add the wind speed chill factor and its really focking cold.
  4. It's not so much the air temperature, but the carburettor venturi doing it's job. As the fuel is turned to a vapour, and the air pressure drops in the vehturi, the temps drop even more inside the carb, and atmospheric moisture freezes to the sides of the carburettor throat(s).
    You can have carb icing at temps as high as 15 degrees c if humidity is high.
    If you can't do the heated air hose thing, maybe a cheapo grip heater wrapped around the carb might do the trick? Another option may be to just wrap the carb in some sort of insulating material, that is open towards the cylinder head, and sort of enclose the carb in an oven.
    Some imagination is in order, and keep it simple, so you can take it off come spring.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. I agree with Typhoon.

Grip warmer and heat wrap around the carb or frame?

It's gonna be a case of try, try and then get cranky and have a drink.