Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XV250 exhaust system - help needed

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Chairman, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Being short of things to do, I'm fiddling with a Virago XV250. I need some advice about the exhaust system.

I need to remove the header pipe from the front cylinder. The service manual gives no indication as to whether the header is integral with the muffler, or whether they are a slide-in fit (there's no pinch bolt that i can see).

If they are integral, it looks like I have to remove the whole exhaust system to get to the header pipe - a horrible job because the much of the exhaust system is mild steel tube and the join between the headers for the front and rear cylinder appears to have corroded itself into a rusty lump (believe it or not, the two cylinders seem to run through the same muffler. The upper muffler, and its header pipe is a dummy)

So, does anyone know - can the front cylinder header be separated from the muffler or are they a single init?

2. Hiya Mark ...

Unfortunately the front header pipe and the muffler assembly are one piece.

The rear header snakes it's way downwards and into the side of the main front header/muffler assembly.

I just happen to have a set of XV250 exhaust pipes here that I bought 2nd hand for my gals bike as a spare set.

I whipped up a page of pix for ya ...

See .. http://people.aapt.net.au/~ralaw/mark.htm for close up pix of the headers/pipes/mufflers etc.

Hope this helps mate ...

3. Actually the lower joins to the top around the muffler area - you still get some exhaust coming out of the top pipe - but it's pretty cold.