Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XS Two-Fiddy, runabout/resto/project thing.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by jwebb2876, Sep 8, 2012.

1. No pics yet, I'll get to that sometime in the next couple weeks when I'm not so swamped under with work.

Bike's a 1980 Yamaha XS250. From what I remember when I last rode it it's pretty slow and handles pretty averagely, but if I wanted a rapid/handle-y bike I would have gotten something else. I like the looks of the thing, and in this particular instance that's all that matters. Besides, I'm only on my L's, and the amount of time I've spent riding on the road can be counted in hours on one hand, lol.

Anyway. I'm not going to lie, I have a fair amount of work ahead of me. Brakes don't work, it runs like a sack of crap, the sidecovers are broken, it's in desperate need of a paintjob and the indicators are snapped off, but it could be worse.

Plans are to get the thing to the point where it rides nicely, then worry about making it look pretty.
    -Rebuild carbs (anyone know where I can get carb kits?)
    -Bleed brakes, if that doesn't work then it's rebuild time
    -Give it a serious birthday (change oil+filters, valve clearances, new plugs, new coil, new CDI unit if it has one, find tank rubbers, new battery, new fork oil+seals, whatever else I come across that needs doing)

Stuff that needs doing so it looks decent enough to pass a rego inspection:
    -Reattach blinkers (provided they can be welded, if not, new ones)
    -Cheap and cheerful respray, probably rattlecan black
    -Deal with the surface rust on the forks and rear shocks

Prettification stuff:
    -Respray in the factory metallic red
    -Get the factory decals and pinstriping redone in gold
    -Get all the shiny stuff re-chromed
    -Flatter bars
    -Pipes of some description
    -Re-covered seat
    -Smaller plate bracket
    -Tidy up the wiring
    -Whatever else I may decide to do in the future.

Basically, I want a comfortable, tidy, stockish oldschool bike to get around on when the sun's out.

Any advice/knowledge/etc will be much appreciated, I know very little about these bikes. The entirety of my experience working on bikes was with the old DT175 I used to thrash around the farm, lol.
  2. They were a nice machine, the XS-250. Yamaha took all their knowledge from the RD-250 in terms of frame and running gear and made a commuter 4-stroke that sold heaps!
  3. gday paul, didnt the xs come out before the rd? the water bottle anyway
  4. Try this place:

They don't appear to have a rebuild kit specifically for your bike, but there might be something if you search for your carb make/model. Failing that, try emailing them.

Good luck with it. :)