Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XR400 - 600 to powerful for L's?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by matty__, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Hey guys...

Only starting out but seen a few good deals on the XR400 - 600's and I only just found out they are Learner approved.

What is your opinions, to powerful for a learner? No idea because ive only ever ridden a 1982 XR250 which didn't seem to have that much power anyway.

Be good to hear what the people on here have to say :)

2. Cbrr is only just learner legal and thats still a perfect learners bike, so go nuts.
  3. Thanks mate, Out of interest, anyone know or experienced how much more powerful an XR600 to a 250 actually is?
  4. I learnt on a Z650. They are heavy, and I assume so is the 600.
    The bigger bikes make great learners though, lots of torque, lower stressed engines, less need to be in the right gear all the time etc .Still, the older/larger/heavier bikes will go plenty fast once you have the skills to get one going.

Regards, Andrew.
  5. 1991 XR600:
    123kg dry weight
    139kg wet (coolants, fuel, etc)
    Max Power: 27.00 HP (19.7 kW)) @ 5800 RPM
    10L Fuel tank capacity

Interesting to note that 1985 through 1987 models are actually 45 bhp (34 kW) @ 6,500 rpm!

So if its 1988+ then the power is a bit less than the average 250. ex/zzr/gpx is 26kW max power and cbr250rr is about 33kW. But 85-87 models are more powerful than most 250s (not cbrr). And weirdly, it said the top speed for the newer xr600s is 110kmh..
  6. The Z was 37.5Kw (65hp), but weighed 210kgs......

Regards, Andrew.
  7. I have a XR400 motard has similar power to my vtr250 by feel, on paper of course it shows the XR as torquier, would probably time trial very similar I think...

As for the power of the XR400-600 range being said to be low.... some where very restricted my dealer told me and basically required carby rejet and removal of some baffles to make them run proper...
  8. I've got an XR400R and think it's OK for a learner to have as the power comes on pretty progressively. If you're tall enough and don't mind kicking it into life. The downside is of course the off road tyre suitability to the street if you're doing road riding a lot. Also bear in mind the frequency of oil changes, which adds up if you're doing a lot of commuter kms.
  9. XR4 or XR6 would probably make very good learner bikes. I've not ridden either, but my experience with other trails bikes says they should be fine. I'd maybe say the 400 over the 600, since it'll be lighter and maybe a bit easier to ride. both should cruise at 110 easily (the 600 should cruise up to 130 easily) with stock gearing.

as for service intervals, I don't think they're really any different from most other bikes. i do an oil change every 3000kms, with a filter every second one. being an air cooled single, oil changes and general maintenance is very simple.

If you decide on a 600 trailie, also check out the DR650, XT600 and the kawasaki 600's (don't know their names) - they should all have electric starts, which might be good when you're learning.

10. I don't think power wise your going to have trouble with any of them.

The 600s may be a bit heavier, depending on the model. the L model is a bit heavier, but better for road use.

The xr400 would be ideal. The 600s don't make much more power then the 400s.

As suggested the biggest problem is going to be height. Get stopped going up a driveway or similar and you might run out of leg length.
  11. Thanks for the comments guys! I probably wouldn't want anything to heavy to be honest, just wanted to hear what people thought of them.

I am still trying to decide between a dirt or road bike to suit my neeeds :(
  12. go the dirt bike! Here's why, from my experience:

- lots of fun to ride, due to torque and the great lean angles
    - not much to break, and easy to repair, if you drop it.
    - cheap on fuel
    - easy to service
    - feels like you're going a lot faster than the same speed on a sports bike, which means you're less likely to get done speeding

the big thing for me is the fun factor - even with dual sport tyres you can really lean them over, and it's much easier to do at lower speeds than a road bike. feeling of speed is also great - i can have an absolute ball under 60-80kmh. full throttle and up through 1st and 2nd gets me to 60 in a fun way. 140 on a trailie feels like warp speed too. I still love my road bike (SRX) but it's a completely different ride, and no where near as fun for day to day riding.

13. + 1 and then Motard it.
  14. Big singles are fun... go for it :)

Much nicer than a tiny buzzy screaming 250 4 cylinder, and you won't outgrow them as quick.
  15. Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input their mate... thats what I wanted to hear!!! :grin: Plus living in the blue mountains there is alot of places to ride off road, not sure whats legal and whats not but there must be some out here.

It makes it a harder decision with my mates that have both road & trail bikes, I can only afford one or the other!

My budget is only 2000-2500 unless i hold off for a while and get something even better, but there has been some good deals around that price, funny though when i finally had enough money they all disappeared!

Cheers, Matt
  16. XR400 service - oil and filter every 1,000kms. If you're buying second hand make sure this has been done religiously, otherwise you could be buying trouble.

17. Really? For some reason I thought the xr400 was a more traditional engine.

OK then go the xr600/650 or the DR650. Even the drz400, though they seem dear to me.