Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XJR1300 Engine oil stain

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dingo1, Feb 11, 2010.

1. _DSC02150001.

My XJR1300 '07 model has a unusual oil like stain that appears on the engine, have cleaned it off with truck wash but re-appears after a ride,originally just thought it was some baked on road grime eg. tar but now think it is oil. Don't think it head gasket or rocker cover gasket as oil would be spraying out everywhere. Took it to the bike shop and they are 'Baffled!' as to what causes it, funny thing have seen another XJR with the same oil mark. My bike has only done 7000km and just come out of warranty. Oh yeah bike shop checked all bolts, oil cooler lines etc
    And its only on the outer cylinders, a mate suggested maybe it's oil seeping out of the casting..that I don't know.

What do you think ?
  2. I've seen oil 'stains' like that on a number of air cooled motorbikes over the past 3 decades.

They've never caused a problem to the bikes concerned.

Or are you worrying about the cosmetics?
  3. Cosmetics do play a part of it but more worried there may be a a larger problem lurking especially when it appears to be oil. Thanks for your comments
  4. Most metals are porous, so your mate could well be right.