Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

XJ 650 Turbo

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by xjluva, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Hey riders, I've got a 83 XJ650 and I wanted to know everything and any thing about getting a turbo kit fro it. I know Yamaha made XJ650 turbos but I dont know if they came to Australia? Is there an after market kit? Any info would be great.

2. The XJ-650 turbo did indeed come to Australia, and I had the privilege of riding one once; an interesting experience, not unlike being strapped onto a skyrocket with a slow-burning fuse!
  3. I don't know that I'd bother. The early '80s factory turbos weren't really very good. I sampled a GPz750 variant of the breed and concur with Paul as regards performance but it wasn't a particularly pleasant or practical bike.

If you're going to go to the hassle and expense of an aftermarket turbo, there are way better platforms to start from than a 25 year old Yam 650.

Your choice though.
  4. yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.... but bikes, generally speaking, are fast anyway. i'm first and foremost a classic not plastic car boy, so the idea of an ol' turbo bike amuses and intrigues me. just coz you can make a plastic rotary go fast doesn't mean you don't wanna put a blown v8 in a valiant.... i know you wouldn't do it to an 80s bike, but don't discourage him. (i'm not having a go i'd just rather other people experiment with their money so i can see what happens, saves me spending any myself hehehe).
  5. I was just asking if it can be done.
    I know theres probably better bikes to modify but I've only got this one!
    I delibratley got and early 80's bike because I'm not made of money and I like to tinker. It would be a pretty unique bike and I would really enjoy it. I don't appreciate being made out to be a fool with fancy quotes.
  6. Yes, but even if you confine your search to the early 80s, there are still vastly better platforms than the Yam.

One of the problems, IMHO, with the factory offerings, was that the bikes chosen for blowing were too small in capacity to be really effective. All other things being equal, turbos like lots of exhaust gas flow resulting from large capacity engines. Hence the fact that they were being used successfully on trucks, ships and big gensets long before they were made to work on small engines. That's apart from the fact that they like constant engine speeds as well, which I won't get into here.

I think it's significant that the early 80s bikes most often chosen for aftermarket blowers are the big Kawa Zs (900+) and the Suzi GSXs (1100+). There are good reasons for it. As much capacity as you'll find in a relatively cheap package. Plus lots of knowledge floating around and the possibility of finding commercially available, application specific parts.

If you want to blow a 650 Yam, go for it but you'll find yourself having to do an awful lot of development yourself, only to end up with a bike that might just about equal an XS1100 performance wise, without the practicality, reliability (there are very few reliable specials in existence) or low $/hp ratio of the bigger stock bike.

I just think, if you're going to do all that, you might as well start at the top of the capacity ladder and work up from there. It's much less to do with the age of the bike and more to do with the cost/benefit of a particular application.
  7. Honda's turbo of the same era was also a 650 :wink:.
  8. Yep, and if my addled brain cells do not deceive me, for a sum equivalent to the GDP of a small South American country, you got more techno wizardry than the Starship Enterprise attempting unsuccessfully to disguise a CX650, and got an equivalent level of performance to the much, much cheaper CB900.

Again, the question arises, why?

Turbos can be fun. Early 80s bikes are great. But if you're going to go to the effort of combining the two, I just think it's worthwhile doing so in a way that will result in a bike that does things that you couldn't buy off the shelf in a simpler, cheaper and more reliable form at the time.
  9. +1 to hornet, ive seen one in Aus was almost guna buy.
    Woudnt nitro be easier.
  10. Thanks to all for your coments.
    I suppose it wold be better to restore the bike in it's stock form.
    I'd never heard of turbo bikes untill recently and was stokes when I realised it could be done to my old beast.
    I just got a bloody speeding fine anyway!
  11. heh heh, the gods are trying to tell you something!!!

You might get some nice customising and restoration ideas here; http://www.xj650.com/
  12. These were rare as rockin horse poo. And that was in their day too. Not a large shipment came to oz. I heard there was some issues with the turbo and the waste gate? Dudes were gearing down at the light quickly and increasing the revs suddenly-then the turbo would kick in and push the poor bahstad acoss the intersection-but we are talking sooooo long ago that I forget details, and I didnt really know sheeet about bikes 20 years ago. Now days there's probably about 3 people in oz who could service them. If you want more power, and like the styling, then just get an XJ900. Problem solved :grin: I rode an XJ750 10 odd years ago to Nimbin and back, liked it so much being my 1st big bike road ride, that I decided to buy 1, then thought- :? errrr, may as well go the 9, as I will eventually outride the 750's power-didnt regret it :grin: