Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

X170 action cam

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by gsxrjames, May 7, 2010.

1. Hi guys,
    I’ve been looking at a few cameras lately and found this
    X170 action cam

I think it’s fairly new but has anyone used one?
    The benefit over other cams is the lcd screen and the tripod screw for lots of easy mounts.
    They are about $280 on ebay.

Was also considering a Kodak zx1. Much cheaper, HD but also much larger and harder to mount.
    Any thoughts?
  2. I've just picked up a Zx3 (waterproof) and I'm delighted with the picture quality... and I haven't even mounted it properly yet (just tied it to the mirror stalk!)

I'll chuck up an example on youtube and send you the link.

My only concerns at this point are that there's a lot of wind noise (naked bike) and it's not wide angle, so even with a tank mount I don't know if I will have the speedo in shot. This may or may not bother you.

I'll chuck up a link shortly.
  3. Thanks, I had a look at that one too.

I had thought about the lack of wide lenses.

By mount on the tank do you mean attaching a bracket [​IMG]
    and attaching with the tripod socket?

I thought due to the height of the camera it might get it the way when ducking in.

It i went down the Kodak path I was thinking about mounting it with the 'action strap' accessory wraped around the handle bars to make it lower + possibly get the speedo in shot.

I'd be interested in pics of your setup :)
  4. #4 the_blacke, May 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    OK, you can watch a sample video [URL="]here[/URL].

Now, I'm prepared to share my top secret, highly technical mounting mechanism with you, but if you rip it off and mass produce it in China or something I'll find out where you live, ride over, and cry at you.

OK so my secret, sophisticated mounting system uses a tactile adhesive flexi-membrane to secure the camera to vehicle, like so:

Which appears as follows from the front:

And like this from the cockpit:

I must also confess to being very proud of the ingenious storage solution that comes for free with this mounting system:

Needless to say, I can't wait till the bracket arrives so I can shoot some stable video!!! I've ordered one of these:

The video above was shot at 720p and took about an hour to upload to youtube!!! :'( I'm hoping that the tank bracket will resolve both the shake and the wind noise, but we'll see.
  5. Thanks, pretty good quality.
    I think if I get one I'd pick up a bracket like this
    and try and attach it to the bars.
  6. Thanks for the responses.
    I was mainly interested in a camera with a screen. 3D would be awesome, but hands up if anyone has a 3D TV:)?

I ended up getting a Kodak ZX1, new from ebay for $90.
    It’s a fairly solid little unit. Similar to the_blacke’s without the waterproofing. I got a vacuum/suction mount from JayCar that I’ve attached to the front of the tank. It holds like crazy but I’ve used the carry strap as a backup just in case.

The only thing I’m worried about at this stage is vibration. I might need to experiment over the weekend and post some pics/video. I might need to use a program to edit the clips.

Total cost 90 + 25 = $115 for a HD camera with a screen. :D
  7. That's a pain.

I've used a zi8. It's what prompted me to look at the kodak range. They are pretty good but honestly not that different to the ZX1 or ZX3. The main diff is 1080p vs 720p and better still shots. I didn't think it was worth the $200 difference. Also mine uses AA batteries. Much more practice than the lithium style ones.