Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

X-ring chains - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by titus, Jul 10, 2008.

1. So I've gone through my owner's manual and it tells me I'm equipped with an 'X-ring' chain (as opposed to o-ring). Hmmm.

Never heard of that before. Neither, apparently, has google (in any meaningful way that I can find).

I spoke to the service guy at the nearest KTM dealer, and his word is that this is a 'good thing', and that I will 'never need to replace it - it will last forever if you treat it right'. I should also use a small amount of a tacky style of lube.

That all sounds too good to be true... is it?
    anyone here know the facts on x-ring chains?

2. From what I've seen they're very similar to a conventional o-ring chain, it's just that the rubber rings used seal a lot better meaning there's less chance of the pre-packed lube escaping, or crap getting in.
    Obviously this is good for longevity, the downside being they cost more.
  3. X-Ring chains are meant to be much better because their seals are flat sided, which means the seals have a much greater contact with the Side Plates.

Source: http://www.quality-cycle.com/truth_about_motorcycle_chains.htm
  4. Thanks guys. I'm feeling even more pleased about my purchase now! :grin:
  5. x ring chains have oring in the shape of an X instead of an O if you were to slice the oring and look at the cross section shape.

They both do the same job of keeping the grease inside the moving parts but the X shaped oring has less drag/friction because there are only two small points touching each plate instead of a large flat area as in the O shaped oring.
    Lasting forever depends on your definition of the term. Chains are a consumable so don't expect them to last the life of the bike. They normally exceed the life of your tyres.