Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WW2 for teh internetz gen

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by booga, May 7, 2007.

1. #1 booga, May 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  2. That is fantastic, laugh did I laugh!
  3. that sounds so so familiar... but it makes so much sense... :LOL:
  4. Could eliminate the entire modern history course at your local high school

to put it another way

cood elimin8 the Ntire moden h1stry coors at ur locl hi skool :LOL:
  5. One inaccuracy was that Churchill didn't see out the war as PM as he was voted out before the japs surrended.
    That's what I don't understand, if he was such a great PM why was he voted out?
  6. He WAS 71 years old in 1945 when he lost the election; that may have had something to do with it. But it DOES seem like an ungrateful slap in the face for a man who was a hero in both wars......
  7. I don't think so Hornet, as he was re-elected 6 years later...

It was simple actually, the blokes had just fought a war and felt that they deserved to come back to something decent . Churchill was a Tory, and the returning troops felt that a labour government was a better bet for a "home fit for heroes".....they were wrong of course, and Churchill was re-elected for a second term 1951-1955.
  8. His WWI activities as First Lord of the Admiralty are open to debate as to their effectiveness - especially his actions in trying to force the Dardenelles using the Navy (pre Gallipolli).

During his 1945 election campaign, he was touring a constituency in the North of England when he realised he would lose the election. It came from a comment made by a local "We love you Winnie but we'll nae vote for 'ee". That about sums up the attitude perfectly.

As a peacetime Prime Minister Churchill was one of the worst the Tories had - as a wartime-time Prime Minister he was excellent ( providing you were English). The Poles, Russians etc who were being held as POWs by the Germans who he forcibly repatriated, most of whom ended up in Russian camps in Siberia may have another opinion.