Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WTF is wrong with Kids these days???

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VCM, May 21, 2008.

1. Is it just me, or have you guys noticed the shocking amount of violent acts being commited by young teens and even pre-teens these days.
    After reading a few recent headlines it's kills me when I come across stuff like this:
    -Boys confess to killing two-year-old girl
    -Teen girl dies fleeing 'happy slap' gang
    -A schoolgirl faces sentence for filming a brutal and fatal attack.
    -13-year-old Fergus Falls, Minn., boy is charged with killing a 2-year-old girl
    -Evan Savoie, 15, was sentenced Monday to more than 26 years in prison for stabbing a playmate to death.

We constantly hear about brutality in the school grounds, innocent kids being beaten by 'friends' then filmed on mobile phones.
    Is it the way we are bringing these kids up ??
    The Internet??
    Video Games?
    Perhaps all this shit about not being able to 'smack' your kids has created a generation of kids who thing they can do whatever the fook they like.
    And what's gonna happen when kids like these grow to be active members of the community ( as adults ) :shock:
    What kind of future lies up ahead when these 'monsters' lead the world.
    Chaos comes to mind :(

2. Hey, I've been playing violent videogames since a young age, and I turned out just fine!

.... even if I do have an anthropomorphic cheetah in motorcycle armour for a user icon. ;)

Eh, who knows. I remember ten to fifteen years ago, the media said I was part of the 'latch-key generation'. Maybe that's gotten worse?
  3. It's always happened, but it seems to have gotten worse, and now it can be filmed/copied/whatever for the world to see. Sad, really sad.

What gets me is the amount of cyber and sms-bullying that occurs. Forget the insidiousness of it just for a second, isn't it relatively simple for an authority to then trace the source? Hard evidence! Much stronger than 'he said, she said'...
  4. Its all linked to this

Given the amount of children being perscribed at a young age these drugs, I would say there is a strong correlation between these behviours and usage. Especially the known side-effects when cycling off.
  5. What gets me is the number of Primary school aged children that actually have a mobile phone with which to receive said SMS bullying (or are using the internet without supervision/filters).
  6. PP: I'd say ADHD &/or the medication may be a contributing factor :shock:

jd: Too right, it's like anyone old enough to walk has a bloody mobile ph!

Ezyryder: the world has become our backyard, and those bloody WEEDS are more noticable.
    Spots: My eldest did also, he's 25 now and grew up ok. Beats me!
    My Daughters however are little buggers, esp the 14yo. Seems they are so easily led by their peers these days.
  7. So true. With advances in technology, there must be restrictions to protect and set limits. Often easier said than done. Problem is with filters, humans designed them, humans (kids) can often beat 'em too.

VCM, we need a stronger weed-whacker or Roundup huh :)
  8. And this is where parental supervision comes in. Seems to be a common thing with news reports of kids being bullied or stalked online that they had a computer with 'net access in their room, with parents completely oblivious to what they were using it for.
    Not that difficult to simply move the computer to a more open room of the house where parents can at least take a glance at what they're looking at from time to time.
  9. I think this is attributed to "if we film it we can be famous like on You-Tube -y'all know"

parental supervision is also lacking in these departments, just use the computer / tv to babysit them instead of spending quality time
  10. When we were kids we knew what went on in our immediate vacinity, even then we did not hear about the little kid around the corner getting abused etc. Today a kid get killed in South America and it's front page news in Australia. Do I think that the world is more violent etc? I don't know but my feeling is that it isn't any worse in Australia than it has ever been.

The stories I have heard about growing up in the flats at Collingwood in the 30s and 40s from a mate's dad are enough to make your hair tstand on end!

The number of kids who just stopped coming to school in the 70s and 80s without reason is another area of concern.

A kid was beaten to death in my high school, a nice outer suburban area.

The sharpie gangs we hung around with were bad bastards too.

We just didn't hear about them.

But I do think that drugs are the major issue we need to deal with.

On the issue of parental supervision, don't make me laugh! I used to disapear on Staurday morning and come home for dinner. All my friends did, we had a lot less supervision [or snooping] than the current generation of kids. Sometimes we as parents are over strict, this forces kids to have BIG rebellions rather then the smaller ones we did as kids.
  11. I think supervision was mentioned more in relation to the online stuff than outdoor play - I was the same, never home, always out in the bush, and got up to my share of shenanigans but never anything like what was in the OP.

I do think the 'we just hear about it more' factor has a fair bit to do with it.

But there are a few other bits and pieces:

1. The web, love it or loathe it, does have its perils. When we wandered around as a kid we might run into a Penthouse someone had thrown away, but kids unsupervised on the net can find all manners of sick, abusive and extreme shit in a couple of minutes... and some just do seem to have the switch that makes them lock onto it and get obsessed.

2. Not blaming the parents in all cases, because I know of plenty of great parents who end up with rotten kids, but good, involved, active parenting and spending time with kids is definitely going to at least greatly increase the *probability* of great outcomes with the kids.

3. Add to that much higher incidences of (a) both parents working long hours and (b) single parents, including the trauma of family breakups, and that does tend to lead to a lot more kids with time in their hands and pain in their hearts. Not having a go at single parents - most of them do an amazing job. But we can't as a society keep on pretending that having the family fall to bits around them has no effect on kids. And a working single parent is just going to have less time to hang out with the kids due to all the time demands.

4. (this one will get me into trouble here, probably from both directions!) Reduced influence of religion in families with nothing to replace it. I know, religion has often been oppressive and blah... but it was also a place where there was a conversation about morals and values and what is right. Maybe we have moved beyond it, but we haven't replaced it with a sensible secular conversation about morals and values, about compassion and caring for others and building society. Instead we've gone in for a culture of selfishness and consumerism. The social contract and a sense of right and wrong is part of what prevents us deciding to do whatever feels good or is exciting.

It's pretty much exactly like the 'Beat The Odds' post: you can do everything right on the bike and still get killed, but by doing everything right you massively improve the odds. You can do everything right as a parent, and still have your kid do something horrible... but by doing everything right you improve the odds. That doesn't mean being a perfect parent or a perfect person, but it means caring and making the effort.
  12. Ah yes but were you disappearing to spend all day hanging out with a paedophile pretending to be a 12 year old. The internet allows ready access to lots of things, not all of them good.
  13. I guess it's just a combination of alot of things, ie ADHD, technology, working parents, lack of supervision ( internet ), chat rooms, msn, myspace, virtual worlds behind that damn screen. and yep .. drugs.
    On the point of religion, I was raised by a fairly strict catholic family, and whilst I wont say it's the way to go ( I've seen people whom have been brought up in a 'christian' enviroment go way off the rails ), I've often said to the wife .. Religion wont hurt, ( forgetting the mumbo-jumbo one-eyed way of looking at things) they dont teach em to kill, abuse, cheat & lie etc
    ( extremists excluded in the above statement )

I dunno .. I just feel sometimes that humanity is being blown out the window these days.
  14. Bravus pretty much hit the nail on the head IMO.

* lack of responsibility, accountability and consequenses

*in this PC world we live in, there is no right, no wrong. If it feels good, then do it

*not bagging single parents, but the breakdown of the STABLE conventional family unit, mom, dad kids

*taking away authority from parents, but still expecting them to be responsible. You can't have responsibility, accountability & authority without the other

*And yes religion. Most of our western or european type societies where founded on judeo-christian values. Seems that the last 15 years or so anything related to christianity has become unfashionable, in fact it seems as though anything anti-christianity is being promoted - this also due to the PC brigade. At the very least, as Bravus said, it gave society a set of rules for law and order.

Basically to sum up - political correctness is to blame for the current situation, IMO
  16. Agreed, but here are two more: SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY

A decade of Howard has shifted the balance toward being all about the individual and individual family, but people have obligations toward society, and society has obligations toward people. Particularly those who are badly damaged, for whatever reason, such as drugs or abuse by their own parents, mental illness, poverty and disadvantage and so on. Some of the blame for increased problems with kids these days has to be laid at the feet of the complete ripping out of social services like medical, dental and counselling support in schools, support for parents, bulk billing and so on and so on. Parents are responsible for their kids, but for some parents the burden ends up being too much, often not due to any fault of theirs, and the kinds of support mechanisms there used to be - both governmental and in social organisations like churches - is just not there any more. The attittude is much more one of 'I'm all right, they're just trash' than of 'how can I give other Australians a hand up (not a handout)'.
  17. You are right but we did remember to staw away from the creepy bloke up the road
  18. Agreed, personal responsibility that we were all taught, along with consequences to your actions, until the PC movement struck! That's why we have nanny states in most western countries, remove all personal responsibility, as "old nanny state" will take care(legislate) of it!
  19. I generally agree with your rants about PC, Farab, but have to admit that particular view is often associated with the 'I'm OK, they're trash' view. What's your attitude in terms of what should be done for the kids of no-hoper parents, for example? Do we just leave them in crappy situations and create a permanent underclass? That's neither moral nor practical - it just breeds more bike thieves! So do you think the government can have a useful role in supporting those kids, whose plight is not their fault? It probably used to be the other families at church who cared for those kids in the past, and maybe gave some pretty stern medicine to the parents too. These days the kids are pretty much adrift...
  20. Absolutely - Triway and percrime cycle off frequently and look at them... :p :LOL: