Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WSBK Heads to Brands Hatch this weekend

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Hot Corser relishes tricky Brands
    By Robert Grant
    August 4, 2005

WORLD Superbike pacesetter Troy Corser will be out to end a five-year drought of Australian wins at Brands Hatch in England this weekend.

The Suzuki rider, who holds a commanding 94-point break over compatriot Chris Vermeulen on a Honda, is one of only two Australians to have won a series round at the track.

He won in 1996 and 1998, while Troy Bayliss, now competing in MotoGP, added to the Australian honour board in 2000.

Corser is the clear favourite to take this weekend's round before an expected crowd of 100,000 and said he felt comfortable on the tricky undulating track.

"Brands Hatch is a great circuit and the atmosphere there is usually tremendous," Corser said.

"It is one of the few tracks where we can actually feel the presence of the spectators because they are very close to the action.

"It is an old style circuit and very demanding because there are some blind approaches and changes of camber and it is easy to get caught out if you are not careful.

"I like the track a lot and I will be going into the event completely relaxed on all fronts," he said.

"It was good to get back to winning ways in Brno (in the Czech Republic) and I can't see any reason why I will not be on the podium at Brands Hatch."

Corser, who has finished on the podium in all 14 races this year, collecting seven wins, is now on 299pts, ahead of Vermeulen (205), French rider Regis Laconi, Japan's Yukio Kagayama and Britain's defending world champion James Toseland.
    Vermeulen, who finished a superb second in last Sunday's Suzuka Eight Hour endurance race on a factory Honda, will return to a layout which he enjoys but has had modest results on.

The Queenslander never finished better than sixth in a World Supersport race at Brands Hatch, even in his 2003 championship-winning year, but scored a fourth and a third place in last year's Superbike races.

"I'm feeling pretty pumped after the good result for me and Kats (Fujiwara) at the Suzuka Eight Hour," Vermeulen said.

"Now I have to make the switch back to my Ten Kate Honda, which is a completely different machine to the full HRC bike I rode in Japan on Michelin tyres.

"It's going to be tough because I've never done well at Brands Hatch. I like the layout of the track but it's dangerous in places," he said.

"I'll have a lot of friends supporting me though, which will be important because it's a big event and the British crowd will be cheering for (Chris) Walker and Toseland."

Apart from Corser and Vermeulen, Honda's Karl Muggeridge has recently been the most competitive of the six-rider Australian contingent in this year's World Superbike battle, although he has not been able to sustain his front-running pace for entire races.

Excessive tyre wear has been to blame for the untimely fadeouts, but after some recent testing alongside Vermeulen, Muggeridge is confident that there is a remedy in sight.

courtesy foxsports news
  2. TV Times for telecast (sorry, no free-to-air)

9:00 pm Sunday 7th August

Channel 20 Analogue
    Channel 501 Digital

Repeated on Tuesday at midnight on FOXSPORTS 1
  3. Full times from the WSBK Superpole session at Brands Hatch.

1. Troy Corser AUS Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra GSXR1000 K5 1min 26.672 secs
    2. Karl Muggeridge AUS Winston Ten Kate Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 26.833 secs
    3. James Toseland GBR Ducati Xerox 999F05 1min 26.910 secs
    4. Regis Laconi FRA Ducati Xerox 999F05 1min 26.982 secs
    5. Chris Walker GBR PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX10 1min 27.014 secs
    6. Noriyuki Haga JPN Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 27.044 secs
    7. Andrew Pitt AUS Yamaha Motor Italia YZF R1 1min 27.192 secs
    8. Chris Vermeulen AUS Winston Ten Kate Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 27.196 secs
    9. Lorenzo Lanzi ITA Ducati SC Caracchi 999RS 1min 27.196 secs
    10. Steve Martin AUS Foggy Petronas Racing FP1 1min 27.618secs
    11. Garry McCoy AUS Foggy Petronas Racing FP1 1min 27.653 secs
    12. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra GSXR1000 K51min 27.672 secs
    13. Dennis Hobbs GBR Team Nvidia Yamaha YZF R1 1min 27.883secs
    14. Giovanni Bussei ITA Kawasaki Bertocchi ZX10 1min 27.961 secs
    15. Pere Riba ESP PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse ZX101min 28.230secs
    16. Ben Bostrom USA Renegade Koji Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 28.378 secs

Non Superpole times

17. Max Neukirchner GER Klaffi Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 28.145 secs
    18. Ivan Clementi ITA Team Pedercini Ducati 999RS 1min 28.177 secs
    19. Pierfrancesco Chili ITA Klaffi Honda CBR 1000RR 1min 28.205 secs
    20. Marco Borciani ITA DFXtreme Sterilgarda Ducati 999RS 1min 28.559 secs
    21. Norick Abe JPN Yamaha Motor France-Ipone YZF R1 1min 28.661 secs
    22. Sebastien Gimbert FRA Yamaha Motor France-Ipone YZF R11min 28.750 secs
    23. Gianluca Vizziello ITA Italia Lorenzini by Leoni Yamaha YZF R1 1min 28.960 secs
    24. Lorenzo Alfonsi ITA DFXtreme Sterilgarda Yamaha YZF R1 1min 29.079 secs
    25. Jose Luis Cardoso SPA DFXtreme Yamaha YZF R1 1min 29.356 secs
    26. Fonsi Nieto SPA Ducati SC Caracchi 999RS 1min 29.436 secs
    27. Lucio Pedercini ITA Team Pedercini Ducati 999RS 1min 29.983secs
    28. Alessio Velini ITA Team Pedercini Ducati 999RS 1min 30.229 secs
    29. Michel Nickmans BEL Zone Rouge Yamaha YZR R1 1min 30.839 secs
    30. Miguel Praia POR DFXtreme Sterilgarda Yamaha YZF R1 1min 30.874 secs
  4. Is it deliberate that the six Australians finished in three groups of two each, or were they just huddled together because of the cold??
  5. It was good to see Noriyuki Haga back in form on the Yamaha again in Race 2 at BRNO...wonder what tricks he can pull out tonight on that R1
  6. Race 1 just completed. No spoilers or hints, but don't miss the race if you have a chance to see it.
  7. wish i could of watched it... i only get SBK ONLINE online to listen to and watch the laptimes on.
  8. As usual, close and exciting racing, what you'd expect from the WSBs.

Wish MotoGP was like this. Well, if one certain Yamaha riding Italian wasn't there, it might well be....
  9. Supersport race just done and dusted, another engrossing struggle. Man the WSBK put on a god show.
  10. Those British Superbike guys are nutso!
  11. Race #2 over. What a cracker of a meeting!!!
    If you didn't see it live, make sure you see the replays or the tape!!