Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[WSBK] Ducati to leave WSBK

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by cejay, Aug 28, 2010.

1. http://www.ducati.com/racing/superb...p_with_a_factory_team/2010/08/27/364/index.do

2. Roughly translated from the media-speak, this mealy-mouthed Press Release says...

"We have had the whole life of WSBK with the organisers in our pockets, making the regulations so that they suit us and disadvantage everyone else. We've always been able to browbeat them into continuing our unfair advantage over the other manufacturers, but, lately, we've been getting our asses kicked by another manufacturer who has managed to make a legal bike that beats ours even though we have all the technical advantages. So, we'll call it a "prototype" and make it sound like they have an unfair advantage and, since we can't get the organisers to keep bending over backwards for us any more, we're taking our bat and ball and we're going to go home."

Typical Ducati hypocrisy at the very highest (or should that be, lowest) level.

Bye, bye, Ducati, you won't be missed, at all.

3. +1 rc36 for most of your comment

i think they will be missed though

4. Agree they will be missed

5. For once, I partially agree with something that rc36 has said. :-s

It should also be noted that Ducati won the WSBK championship with Troy Bayliss when they had a 1000cc limit like everyone else though. It's almost as if the 1098R (which Bayliss did win on mind you) has actually been a step backwards for Ducati. I think this can be traced back to when Ducati went to the larger capacity, that the rest of the manufacturers banded together and laid down rules for restricting Ducati's ability to exploit the larger capacity. Their race bikes have smaller air-intakes than their road bikes do.

What is odd though, is that the satellite Ducati teams seem to be doing better than the factory teams. Smells like this has been coming for a while now.

They will be missed.

6. I would not be surprised if crowd numbers drop off in Europe.

7. ah yes, but they now have an Italian racing for them in Moto-GP so they probably need a bucket-load of extra money to keep him happy, and the mad Italian fans...

8. Sounds like they need to put the resources (staff and money) into the MotoGP squad. With Valentino joining, they will be desperate to win consistently.

9. in the short time ive followed racing... i agree.

10. Agree with smee think the crowds will drop of by a significant amount in Europe,As Ducati has a big following in europe.

11. Will the crowds drop off? Remember, Ducati will not be running a factory team. The PR doesn't say that it's withdrawing from WSB altogether. It may simply be doing what the other manufacturers do - supply bikes and support to the teams that wish to race its products.

And can it afford to withdraw from WSB, anyway? Most of its revenues come from the sports bike range. I doubt that sponsorship alone covers the cost to go racing. If there are no Ducatis racing in WSB then where's the temptation to go out and buy one?

12. Rossi is the factor here.... Having to cough up millions more just for one rider...

13. They discussed this on the lead up to the US-Indy GP this morning, as being the possible catalyst for disbanding its factory team.

14. Well they wanted him so much so now they can deal with the consequences.

15. It's called outsourcing.
    Why pay Haga and Fab to do the same job that Checa does better?
    Corse don't have to pay Checa either do they. And next year the Althea bikes will be (GASP!) more reliable.

Have to agree with the Rossi opinions.
    His salary alone would be more than the Corse SBK team operational budget for 12 months.

16. maybe they are going to spend the $$$ saved on WSBK, to make the MotoGP bike competitive in Rossi's hands next year?

17. Who cares? There will be Ducatis racing, just no factory team. Big whoop, been done by many other teams before and will be again in the future. Its nothing new, but spun into a positive light by the Ducati media machine... and you can hardly blame them for that.

I would imagine that they are trying to keep up the same pace of development and manufacturing standards as everyone else, while having to do that with a much smaller sales department and total revenue pool. Thus, something gotta go... and the logical choice seems to be the exxy factory race teams - the satellite teams still get bikes, parts & support, but they pay for that and thus contribute to the bottom line.

There will still be big Italian twins out there, and people keen to watch them. So... I really don't see it as an issue.

- boingk

18. In WSBs, how many teams are actually true factory teams? If none, then surely this is a non-issue.

Besides, I'm of the view that production based racing should not have factory team involvement. Look at the disparity it's shown ever since Ducati's factory teams have dominated, and the so called satellite teams on "customer" bikes have languished.

Build a bike for the road. Make it affordable. Then supply the after market bits and pieces to all who want them at the same price.

Or let aftermarket developers do this.

I'm showing my age here but the original "superbike" concept that we had with the NGK series in the 80s was great. We'd see a bike off of the showroom floor all tricked up in Yoshimura and Moriwaki bits and pieces and flogged to death on the track by the likes of Phyllis, Johnson and Campbell.

These days, superbike racing sees bikes with mods that most of us can neither obtain nor afford. And with Ducati there was another level again, between the 1098R as raced by Bayliss and Haga and the "customer" bikes raced by everyone else.

19.  Top
  20. Yes they will. I'm going to find it much harder to be a poser with my new bike now the manufacturer doesn't bother with production racing.

:p