Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wrong fuel in tank

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Jude, Jan 3, 2009.

1. hey guys, first time poster here long time lurker.

I was hoping someone would be able to answer a question I have. I'm a new rider and yesterday I went down to the local caltex to refuel. I saw that E10 unleaded (bio fuel with 10% ethanol), and I asked the guy at the register whether it was okay for bikes to run with it in which he said was fine.

However I looked it up on the net, and I've now realised that while this type of fuel can be run with certain brands of bikes, its not approved for use with my kwaka :cry:

my question is, if i keep running it till i empty the tank will it do alot of damage to the engine? or is a one-off use of this fuel alright?

many thanks in advance!

2. 1 tank wont damage your bike. There will be times when you come across a servo that only had e10 or the e10 pumps turned on.

As long as you are not continually using E10 I can't see an issue. I have had to put E10 in my bike and it has been fine.

If your really paranoid you could always drain the tank and pour in real fuel.

It will make a big difference in your fuel consumption.

Check out this thread, theres lots of info there.

https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60400

3. Once off use should be okay if you're not flogging the engine - ethanol blends can make a carburetted engine run lean and overheat.

4. All true but I would be topping it up when I was down to half a tank. It can't hurt to dilute it ASAP.

5. wow thank you guys so much for the quick replies. much appreciated. :)

6. lol I think this fuel is going to die a quick death.

Almost everyone has heard from one source or another that it's not worth the 2-3 cents difference from standard unleaded. Seems to have bad reviews no matter where you look.

Can't say I blame them.

7. Unless of course the Government makes it compulsory - which is unfortunately quite likely to happen since the average person doesn't know/care enough about what fuel they use.
    After all what better way to force people to buy new cars/bikes/boats and stimulate the economy than to make their old one run like crap and/or wear out much sooner.

8. I ran a ethanol fuel mix once in a old dirtbike I had. Made it about 10kms before the ethanol cleaned all the crud up in my tank and deposited it in my jets stopping the bike from running lols

9. lol clean tank internals though :)

10. BTW, std ULP with 10% ethanol doesn't make it a biofuel.