Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Written-Off Status: REPAIRABLE-WRITEOFF (VIC)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by missmakeupgrrl, Jan 11, 2009.

1. All,

I am about to purchase a bike that looks in good condition however a VicRoads search is reporting Written-Off Status: REPAIRABLE-WRITEOFF.

The previous owner didnt mention the bike had been written off.

I'm looking for your option - does this make the bike a lemon?

I would appreciate if you could reply promptly as i am supposed to pick the bike up this afternoon.

missmakeupgrrl

2. Not necessarily. A bike can be written off due to the cost of replacement fairings and other non-structural components. I'd enquire as to the extent of damage. And also be prepared to shell out for a VIV ( around $440 I think ).
    You wont get the bike registered without a VIV certificate

3. Of course, the bike may already have been re-registered. If you're buying it registered and with a roadworthy certificate there's not a huge amount to worry about, IMO. My Spada had been repaired from written off and was an awesome bike.

Do bear in mind that being a repaired write-off will likely lower your resale value, so if you plan to sell it in the next couple of years you should ensure you're paying a reasonable price for it (i.e. less than comparable bikes that have not been written off).

4. Certainly it should make you more cautious and the bike subject to a great deal more scrutiny. It should also affect the price.

That said I understand that a modern bike can end up being a write-off for what many would consider relatively minor damage, due to the the cost of paint / panel and components.

5. What Bravus said + 1. ... If it is not registered...I would not go near it.

By law the seller needs to tell buyers it is/was a write-off. If you had brought the bike and found out after, you can sue the seller for the purchase price plus court costs.

6. This is why you need to check the VIN before you purchase.

Generally insurance companies will write a bike off when the damage makes it unsafe eg. frame is bent or they will mark something as a repairable write off when the cost of the repairs is more then the payout value in the policy.
    eg. The bike is insured for $4000 repairs cost $4100. They just saved $100.

If it's repairable write-off then it's just that repairable.

This may make the bike harder or more expensive to insure. I do believe that the owner MUST by law tell the purchaser that it has been written off. May need to check that for your state.

If they haven't written that the bike hasn't been written off somewhere then it would be your word vs there.

Basically get a mechanic to look at it and tell you what it's going to cost and most importantly what is wrong.

And here you go

Vic Roads write off section

7. I recently purchased a repairable write-off bike (that was still written off) and put it back on the road.

Damage to it consisted of a ding to the tank, all fairing panels (except for one side) were broken, radiator was bent from falling onto its side, missing mirror, bar, indicator, broken instrument subframe, and some graze marks on one of the forks. All frame structure was straight.

All in all, the damage was consistent with a bike than had been dropped from upright (locked-up front wheel dump from snatching the brakes is my guess) and gone for a slide for maybe 20-30m. Overall, quite a minor accident (in the grand scheme of things).

Fixing the bike back to new again is a snap, just expensive for an insurance company to do it. It's case of pulling off all the scratched/broken panels/parts, and bolting on new ones. OEM parts are expensive though, but an insurance company must abide by the OEM part replacement policy, and when adding up all the damaged parts to replace, would've easily pushed the total repair price above the write-off cut-off point. Bam! A mechanically perfect bike got marked as a repairable write-off.

Should it reduce the price? That depends. It's not really any different to some sap dropping their bike themselves and repairing it themselves. The only difference there is that some insurance assessor hadn't looked over it and ticked the box marked rep. write-off purely on a cost-to-repair basis.

My advice is to simply assess the bike as is. If it's been fixed up with shoddy parts, then that is what should mark the price down big. If it's otherwise a mechanically sound bike with all OEM kit on it, then it's purely just stigma with respect to the rep. write-off status.

8. Agree with all of the above. It doesn't take much damage in the way of fairings to rack up a bill which exceeds the agreed/market value... insurance company writeoff.

When I was shopping around (learner bikes) a lot were repairable writeoffs and the people who owned them didn't even know! In fact it's a great way to easily knock the price down.

If you're not sure re: the damage get someone to have a look at it and at least make sure the frame ain't bent :eek:

9. Flux, it may be just stigma but ultimately the market see's 'Repairable Write-off' bikes as worth less (a whole LOT less, usually) than an equivalent condition bike of same model/year.

The bike you buy as a Repairable Write-off may be fine, but when you go to sell it you'll be in for a shock if you're expecting the $$$ you see from Bikesales.

Also as someone else mentioned, it may affect your insurance costs. Certainly it voids the warranty (but that may not be an issue depending on the age of the bike).

10. At 300$ to 800$ for a piece of fairing its easy to write it of.
    Just make sure it has been repaired to a good standard.