Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured Write off build

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by jameso95, May 20, 2015.

  1. Hi,
    Im looking to buy a zx10 with a bent frame. Its a statutory write off so it can't be registered.
    If i bought a new frame and transferred all the parts onto the new frame, is there a way of getting it back on the road?
    Ive done some reading and apparently the bike goes through a safety certificate from an engineer, then a RWC, then transport & main roads gives you a new vin. But I'm not 100% sure if thats correct.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  2. This is in Vic I assume? The bike will need to get a VIV check, which requires paperwork, photos, receipts of all repairs. Cost for VIV is roughly $500.
  3. Sounds like its easier/cheaper to just get a workign zx10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Use the search engine for the answers you seek. This has been asked so much lately it could be made a sticky.

    Remember to keep receipts and take lots and lots of photos.
  5. Hi jameso95, I believe what the above comments are saying is true if the frame you buy is a repairable write-off.

    I'm 99.9% sure that if you buy a 2nd hand frame that has a clear title, you can then use the motor and any other ok parts from the stat write-off and get a RWC and rego as per the normal process for any other standard unregistered vehicle.

    I'm certain a VIV inspection is only required if you fix up a repairable write-off, as it is only the VIN that is recorded in the written off register.

    I'm sure there's someone on here that can also confirm this??
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yeah Kow8ell, thats sort of what i thought
    Though im in qld so i dont know if that makes a difference.
    Ill call up the dept of transport tomorrow and find out