Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wrapping legs around the tank

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by j0shman, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Hey guys,

I was thinking about a separate topic I read earlier and it got me thinking..

I ride a CBR250R, and I don't know if its my height (6ft) or anything, but I naturally can't get my knees planted firmly around the tank, like ive heard many times before in it helping to improve handling/centre of gravity etc. My legs just naturally swing out, sorta like as if im sitting on a scooter or a bench seat.

What I want to know is, is this ok to live without, or should I keep trying? I suspect the bike is just too small physically for me, either that or its just the standard geometry.

Also, i'd appreciate the innuendo being kept to a minimum, thanks ;)

Thanks in advance!

2. Sigh... it has nothing to do with CofG.

You grip the bike with your legs to improve your control, it locks your body to the bike, gently squeeze with your thighs, slouch and bend your elbows.

Its not exactly a natural thing to do, we are told all our lives to sit up straight, and two handle bars sticking up in front of you screams hang on to these, but all you want to do is rest your hands on them.

It might feel unnatural to start with but if you remind yourself to sit properly eventually it will become muscle memory and you will do it without thinking.

3. How sure are you about that?

4. You just need them pushing into the tank. Maybe get tech spec tank grips.
    You want to get to the stage where you grip tighter with your knees rather than your hands when things start to go pear shaped.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Depending on a persons physique, and the shape of their bike, it can be a misnomer to talk about "srapping legs around the tank", or "sqeezing the tank with knees".

Often it's the thighs which are gripping the rear of the tank, and it can be quite difficult to get any pressure at all on the knees. Main thing is to maintain a solid contact between whatever inner surface of the knee-to-thigh area contacts the bike, and the bike.

6. If your saddle allows - depending on your size - shunt your bum to the back section of the seat.

This will do two things:
    1. Help to accentuate the forward position of your top half over the tank. Getting your weight over the front wheel and making you crouch into the bike.
    2. Give you more leverage through your legs (longer lever from hip to knee) to apply pressure to the tank.

7. It's that inner-thigh-groin area that applies the force to keep your legs together thus gripping the tank with either your thighs or knees... as others have suggested it takes a while to build up this strength but it gets easier and easier the more you ride.

I play soccer and always used to get groin soreness after games, but since I started riding bikes I don't get this anymore due to better strength in this sensitive region :)

8. #8 robsalvv, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    iClint is right.

Properly locking on will allow you to take weight off the bars. A lot of weight on the bars isn't good. It interferes with the bike and its suspension. It's all explained in TOTW2.

Lock on anyway you can, but almost all systems rely on the ball of the foot on the peg and a rotation of the ankle forcing the leg/thigh/knee against the side/frame/tank of the bike.

9. Thanks for all the above posts guys, makes alot of sense now!

I know that I just can't get my knees to grip the tank, and I think its just because of the smaller CBR's size that makes it uncomfortable for me. That said, I reckon I can get used to using the thigh/groin area more.

When I sit on my bike, Ive trained myself now to put as little grip on the bars as possible...if/when I get into a scrape, obviously as much contact with the bike as possible is a good thing!

Cheers guys, legends

10. Is that why you grip the tank with your legs. I thought it was so I could feel those triple vibrations up through my special place. Oh la la

This^^ ball of toe on outside of peg allows plenty of room to rotate. Opening up the pelvis which will make it feel more natural and makes it easy to knee down. Lock on that biatch and keep it pinned. This is coming from someone who hasn't ridden at the track for about 2.5years now, I'm probably rusty as a Holden in a scrap yard. Alas. No knee down on road on the MV yet. Just haven't been pushing it hard. Maybe I've grown up. I've certainly grown out a little bit =D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the advice, and props for the sweet ride!

12. Just watched TOTW2 on You tube. Bloody amazing video! I am gonna buy the DVD then put it on my ipad and watch it over and over again

13. Don't be afraid though to look to other instruction while twist of the wrist is good and Keith Code a legend, but IIRC the whole "weight on the pegs lowers the centre of gravity" is Keith codes doing It's been a long time since i read the book but I am pretty sure he started that whole load of shit.

14. Ever since you made this comment, it's stayed in the back of my mind because it didn't sit right.

TOTW talks about the "centre of mass" with a fair degree of understanding and has parts where it talks about placing the weight on the bike closer to the CoM which they argue, gives some handling and control benefits, i.e., most weight on seat versus most weight on peg/s. Nowhere does TOTW mention that weighting pegs will lower the CoM. That misunderstanding seems to be a chinese whispers thing.

15. Thank you. Been looking for someone to say this. It's something that I have picked up on myself doing but haven't noticed a lot of experienced riders talking about.

16. i thought it was just me! A good read. thanks guys :)