Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wow...What a difference

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Bamm-Bamm, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I have been thinking about changing the brake and clutch fluid on the Blackbird for some time and yesterday finally got off my arse and did something about it. I had been putting it off because my bike has linked braking or as Honda calls it DCBS :LOL: ...anyway the brakes need to be bled in a specific order and being a bit of a noob with mechanical stuff I was a bit worried I would stuff it up. Anyway thanks to an excellent tutorial, the factory shop manual and with Shambles helping me we knocked it over in about an hor and a half or so.

The difference in power and feel is HUGE...i really cannot stress enough how bloody fantastic the brakes are now..and all it cost me was a maybe $25 and a bit of time. i just came home from work and did the clutch...again piece of cake to do and went like a dream. I expect I will get the same sort of improvement but tommorrow will tell.

My bike is a 2003 and i don't think it has had a fluid change...now it will be done religiously every 12 months or so :)

2. +1 to that.
    A good fluid change makes a dramatic difference. With a good order brake system u brake more confidently and pull up atleast 20% quicker.

Plus its an easy and cheap job

3. I bleed the brakes on everything I own annually. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and generally deteriorates over time. Not only is it good for your braking performance bleeding the brakes annually, but it prolongs seal life and reduces the chances of corrosion in the system.

Regards, Andrew.

4. Call it anal but my zx9 gets new coolant and brake fluid every 12,000 ks :grin: