Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wow, more than 965,000k's........

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Oct 23, 2005.

1. quote;

"BMW awards mileage badges for "total miles driven on BMW motorcycles". Fred has accumulated his badges on one machine, which has never been rebuilt! On the tank's right side is a 400,000-mile award. On the right saddlebag is a 500,000-mile award - mounted next to a 600,000-mile badge!"

Thats more than 965,000 K's. I seriously doubt if bikes made today will ever make that kind of mileage with just a change of rings and one tranny bearing failure. I always knew BMW's were reliable, but hell, that is way 'above and beyond'. I reckon if the old bugger hadn't up and died, he'd be well over the million k's by now and still going strong. I hope for his sake that there's a BMW dealer wherever he is now.

http://www.motolit.com/bwm600k.html

2. That is very impressive.

My old man is a driving instructor. He's driving a 99 Subaru Impreza 2.0 4 banger at the moment (another has been ordered, waiting for it to arrive) and has put over 430,000 on it and the engine is still going strong and has never been opened. So I sometimes wonder how accurate the whole "they don't make em like they used to" thing really is...

Justin.

3. Thats Awesome. No way known a bike these days can do that
    kinda milage :!:

4. Sorry to disagree, speedo, but BIKE magazine a few months back documented a courier who owns a VFR-750 that has done a genuine 800,000 MILES. (That's a cool 1,287,475.2 kilometres)
    Motor was replaced at 400,000 miles (643,737.6 kilometres) but the rest of the bike is as it, with just normal maintenance, tyres etc.

5. Dosent count if motor was replaced

6. My we are a little know-it-all aren't we?? The bike did over 600,000 kilometres on the first motor and that doesn't count???

And it DOES disprove your bald but unsustainable assertion that "No way known a bike these days can do that kinda milage (mileage)" because it DID.

This forum is not for the massaging of egos by the process of one-upmanship, we're mostly grown-ups here and we got over that stuff back in the school-yard. It's about connecting riders.

7. Ego's?? Yeh riteo. Theres no ego involved here pal

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

8. feeling little condescending tonight hornet?

9. Dont know what his problem is.

Got some reason this dude thinks I'm picking on him. Hes sadly mistaken.

10. Dont know what his problem is.

For some reason this dude thinks I'm picking on him. Hes sadly mistaken.

11. Sorry, just a bit annoyed with self-appointed experts! Plus this gentleman hasn't exactly covered himself with glory in two other threads. Oh well, takes all kinds I guess.

12. Kishy, I'm not responding because I think I'm being picked on, I'm responding because you made an assertion which was unsustainable, and appointed yourself arbiter of what was a long-mileage bike, and what wasn't.

The original poster simply reported about a bike, I reported about another and you wanted to decide the criteria for a long mileage bike when none had been set.

Once again, you didn't provide an opinion, or an example of what the thread was about, you just argued the point about some-one else's.

Let's have YOUR opinion, please, not just a put down of other people's efforts. I'd like to hear if you know of another high-mileage bike; that's what the thread is about.

13. Am I missing something? The BMW did 965,000 K's on only a ring change, and was still going strong when the owner died. The VFR did 643,737 and used up the entire engine. But lets set aside the engine change, thats still almost 30% less mileage on the VFR than the BMW. Surely Kishy was right on the math alone. 30% is not a small margin.

14. Not knocking the BMW, inci, champion in any sense. Just adding to the thread by posting about another high mileage bike. (The VFR probably had a much harder life than the BMW, being used in England by a courier! And he was, how we say, and ample gentleman into the bargain!!!)

15. Sure, 965,000 is a lot more, but it certainly shows that modern machines are capable of running up huge numbers too.

Justin.

16. Fair nuff Hornet, but I do think that that the increased complexity of modern machines, driven by ecological imperatives on one hand, and 'faster ever faster', marketing on the other, means that even an undeniably fine bike like the VFR is never going to match the reliability of an engine refined incrementally for over 70 years. Nor frankly does the manufacturer care, since they only provide spares for seven years after a model is discontinued.

17. Agree entirely, along with paper plates, most mechanical devices are simply not built to last! The reason the VFR was featured in the magazine in the first place was because its performance was anomolous against the background of normal mileages!

18. I personally think that all this BMW reliability talk is a bit over rated. The only way you could get that sort of milage is if you rode it like the typical BMW owner -gently accelerate to no more than 3000rpm everywhere & sit on 90km/hr driving everyone insane with tales of fuel economy, tyre life & reliability. Ride one 1/2 as hard as a jap bike & they break -this is from personal experience. Lets see, collapsed pinion bearings in the diff, stripped slines in the driveshaft, oil pump seal leaking like a sieve, rear shock pumped its oil over the back wheel, output shaft clatters, switch gear falls apart & burns out the starter relay, speedo works when it feels like it, do you want me to go on?

19. Jeez, you have obviously never been to Germany! Autobahns don't have speed limits, and 200+kph cruising is the norm. I can't say I have noticed the road littered with broken BMW's. A BMW is no different to any other bike, if not maintained and abused it will break. Maintain it, and no matter how hard you ride it, it will make massive mileages. Incidentally, collapsed diff bearings and stripped splines are common problems on poorly maintained Beemers.

20. Not doubting you incitatus, but how exactly does maintenance stop a diff bearing collapsing or a spline from being stripped? Is diff oil a regular service item?

Curious.

Justin.