Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wow! Front wheel shimmy = scary!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by typhoon, Aug 23, 2006.

1. I ducked out earlier for some fuel and oil for the chainsaw. Riding along a road I have been on many times before, same throttle setting, same speed(80 km/h) straight flat road etc, the handlebars decided to do a merry dance! Handlebar probably moved about 20cm each way! Went on for about one second, but felt like 30 seconds! Very high frequency too. The bike didn't get unsettled, but the rider did!
    I rode like a granny the rest of the way home. That front tyre is outta here!

Regards, Andrew.

2. Yep, if you can't trust it - p1ss it off for a new one.

Did you ride the rest of the way home on the back wheel... you know... for safety? :p

And just out of curiosity, what chainsaw do you have btw?
  3. I have an old McCulloch. Bought it for $50 about 4 years ago at the markets at Bathurst. Been ridiculously reliable and heaps of grunt.
    Like most things I own, it is old and was cheap!

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Cool, I have one of these.

Makes camping a lot of fun!

Got mine free from a customer I took VERY good care of.
  5. Yeah, the same thing happened to me on the way to work a few weeks back.

Freaked me out considerably... the tyre was changed at the next opportunity, that's for sure
  6. know the feeling, riding mine and under deceleration it gave a little head shake.
    brand spanking new metzelers fixed that problem.
    i find it amazing how much difference nice new rubber can make