Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WOW!! check this out........

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by uncorider11, Aug 11, 2006.

1. This was just e-mailed to me..... :(
    Speed Kills .

A picture is worth a thousand words.

The Honda rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department.

The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his licence.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is travelling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have travelled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. ..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

[IMG:320:240:5bfb7504a4]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/uncorider11/1225.jpg[/img:5bfb7504a4]
    [IMG:320:240:5bfb7504a4]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/uncorider11/1224.jpg[/img:5bfb7504a4]
    [IMG:320:240:5bfb7504a4]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n188/uncorider11/1223.jpg[/img:5bfb7504a4]

2. Parking a wrecked bike in a wrecked car and producing a story has been done many times before...

3. and Elvis IS still alive!!

4. You know the more I look at that picture, and read the speed quoted by the Swedish Police, the more I believe that the bike is not damaged enough.

I would have expected it to be literally torn into pieces.
    Maybe even have had the petrol tank explode.
    Fuel must have been pissing out everywhere.

I am not saying that the pics and the Police quotes are incorrect, just that I have seen pics of bikes with far worse damage at a much lower speed.

Look at the pics of Haggis's bike for example. And he was not doing anywhere near the speed quoted here.

I should also point out that to get the bodies out they must have removed the bike from inside the car.
    Then they had to clean all the blood and guts up.
    Then they had to re-install the bike back inside the car.
    Then they had to get permission from the families of the car drivers and the bike rider to display this in public.
    It seems a little too contrived for me when you take all of the above into account.

Regardless of weather it is a true display or not, there is no doubt that it does make the point quite clear...if you don't want to end up like this...have a bloody good think about what you're doing out on the road!

5. *Yawn* that is so 1998

6. agree, but they did get in far enough to buckle up :LOL:

7. I wonder if they made Swedish Meatballs out of the remains?

8. But it has been alleged that the roo or whatever hit Haggis was doing more than 250kph. :LOL:

9. I've seen bikes crash and not hit anything at half that speed on the race track and we were picking the bits up with tweezers :roll:

10. This one is REAL.

11. Possibly to a certain degree..... Imagine all the blood and guts needed to be removed for health and other reasons to put this on display......wouldn't have they removed the bike to do this ?

12. Oh !!! That is just so Horrible!!!!!!

If only Gunther Von Hagens had Plasticised the remnants, what a display that would have made!

13. I agree with vic. The pics and story (whichever version) have been recycled so many times. Not to detract from the enormity of the subject, but one would assume there are other crash pics/stories that convey a similar message.

14. REEEEEPOOOOOOOOSSSSSSTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

15. [img:1024:683:316e241098]http://www.uploadthis.co.uk/uploads/Ktulu/luckjpg2.jpg[/img:316e241098]

16. The ground around the car and bike (obviously the same as in the other pics) is covered in snow.

Now WTF is going to 155 mph hour on a road likely to be covered in water/dampness/ice/black ice and possibly fresh snow?

17. Hehehehehe. Just take a look at the tail lights & seat cowl. That to me looks suspiciously like an NC30 or 35. (VFR or RVF 400.) Speed limited to 180km/hr. Even if derestricted only capable of just over 200.
    Nothing like a bit of exageration to make a good story huh?

18. This picture is real. They have shown it in AMCN before in the news section near the front. I will see if i can find the article lying around and scan it for you.

19. I was about to say the same thing is Roarin. The bike looks of the 400cc V4 Honda category, and no way could it be doing 250kph, not even if dropped out of a plane (terminal velocity in free-fall would be around 220kph).

Further, if the bike hit the car side on, then why is the top front of the windscreen and cabin roof smashed into the cabin area as if from above and in front? Also, why is the rear side panel bent in as if hit? Also why is the rear door all bent and buckled on the other side of the car if the bike entered the driver side door? Why are the heavy dents on the bonnet of the car as if it ran under the back of a truck?

The picture may be real, as in someone stuck a bike inside a car and took a picture of it (not photochopped), but there's no way in heck that the damage sustained to the car is consistent with the bike hitting the side of the car.

20. The car rolled after being hit, so the story goes in AMCN

EDIT: i really need to learn to read the story properly first.

Therefore the damage you describe could easily have been attained during the impact.