Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC WOVR, VIV's and older motorcycles

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Ugly, Mar 16, 2012.

1. I've been reading up about the WOVR in VIC and Repairable Write-offs.

I heard mention that if a vehicle is older than 15 years it doesn't go on the WOVR, and hence no VIV would be needed if it was fixed and re-registered.

What I can't find is information pertaining to the following scenario.

Vehicle is 14 yrs old, gets deemed a repairable write-off, and goes on the WOVR like it should. What happens in 1 year when it's now 15 yrs old?
    Does it "fall off" the WOVR, and hence no VIV would be needed to re-register the repaired vehicle?

I've looked high and low for the past week and cannot find any information that either confirms or crushes this.

Anyone out there know the answer, or can point me to the right information on an authority website?
  2. The way I read it, once it's on the register it can only come off as follows:

"A vehicle entered on the WOVR as a repairable write-off cannot be re-registered nor have its registration maintained unless a current Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) certificate is submitted to VicRoads. "

As the bike is 14 years old and assessed as a WO, it goes on the WOVR thus: "In Victoria, light vehicles (including motorcycles) up to fifteen (15) years of age that are assessed as repairable or statutory write off are required to be recorded on the Written-off Vehicles Register."

So it's gone onto the WOVR, and I'd say it stays on the register til cleared through a VIV even though it's over 15 years old at some point in the future.

But it's these borderline cases that are so hard to get correct info about.
  3. What Anto said sounds about right to me. Please also remember that a Statutory Write-off can never be registered again. This wouldn't be true if it fell off the list when it reached 15 years old.

Also, if you repair a Repairable Write-Off, you are legally obliged to tell prospective owners that it's a repaired write-off when you decide to sell it. The short and simple fact is that putting a repairable write-off back onto the road is too much work, and will cost too much, for most people to contemplate doing.
  4. I for one am glad there are all these hurdles in place to pretty much mandate extravagant wastage of things that should be recoverable <_<
  5. Your vehicle Never comes off the repairable writeoff register.
    If its had a VIV and been registered and the registration runs out, you need to do the VIV again.
    info straight from Vicroads after i found out our car was a wovr..
  6. Kaching! There's another 500 bucks. What's more, if you don't have the repair report from when it was repaired, you're screwed! To put it bluntly, it isn't worth wasting the time, money and effort!
  7. Dunno about all this.
    Few years ago, the boss at work waited an extra 12 months & rego'd a VN ute without the VIV!
    (Was previously on the WOVR)
  8. Streety is experienced in these matters... So now I'm confused.

Tappin' not talkin'
  9. Ring Vicroads.
    I know what I was told, He knows what happened, vicroads at work again.
  10. The way Vicroads works (slowly) it probably depends on who is using the computer at the time!