Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wouldn't it be lovely...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Bogus69, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Wouldn't it be great if, when sealing roads, they put the joing on the lines between lanes instead of in the middle of the lane?

And wouldn't it be cool if motorways have motorcycle lanes that were only used during peak hour (or have a speed limit lower than 100 -so that they were only used when traffic is congested).
  2. while we're dreaming, wouldn't it be nice if there were no cars on the roads, and no straights longer than 2-3km and no speeding laws?

oooops :oops: i just got excited :shock:
  3. At least my dream is easy to implement! :p

4. Yes, I dont get that either. Its those seams that always gets potholes as well. Why have seams in the first place? I have seen lots of wide roads that have none, so where do they come from?
  5. Seems cos they seal one lane at a time.

Well prolly 1.5 lanes at a time.
  6. Continuous use and overloaded trucks, weather temperature contributing to expansion and contraction of the roads. Once it starts even a small seam, stress concentrations develop at the end points of the seam and they just get bigger as time goes on. Thats why the need to be patched up soon before they grow.
  7. The machines that seal the lanes can only lay asphalt a certain width, then they have to go and to the next strip... This also allows them to keep one lane open if required.

I suppose they could make machines two lanes wide if they really wanted too... :)