Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you try to discourage or, can i have a ride?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by oztom, Jul 6, 2009.

1. On the weekend i met up with the husband of a friend. I have seen him from time to time but i never knew his interest in bikes.

He told me he gets his full licence in a months time for a bike and that he has an R1 lined up that will be ready for pick up in two weeks time.

Since getting his Ps he has not set foot on a bike and has never ridden anything over a 250cc.

He was not happy with my reaction.

Not ridding anything for all this time and nothing over a 250, then jumping on a R1 to me is a little mad. I would have said that to his wife but i think he would have punched me.

I did organized to go for a ride with him (me on my own bike) when he gets it.

Still worries me.

2. In my opinion, i would not be doing it. As you have said, very little experience, as well as jumping from 250cc to R1.

Now everyones ability is different, and I had done 25,000kms before I pillioned anyone, but he would really be trusting someone with there life as such, to go for a ride like this, no matter how good it sounds.

3. It's all in the wrist!

Give it a couple of weeks, if he's still alive, go for a spin with him. :grin:

4. That would worry me, too. He really needs to get some road time on something less "snappy". In then end, though, I guess you'd have to respect his opinion, but I'd certainly be voicing my concerns.

5. You've had your say, done your bit, and now it's up to him. He knows your views and maybe he'll think it over but it's his choice after all. I suppose it depends on what you think of the guy, but I would be inclined to go with him and try and get some good habits instilled from the start. First time out on a big bike, on your own... well, I can see there being a lot of self-imposed pressure to live up to the capability of the bike. A calming influence could be a good thing.

6. I think all you can do is mention it. In the end if his license allows him to ride it what else can you do.

When I got my bike though I spent a few hours with an instructor to build some confidence and improve my skills. Didn't cost too much about $200 for four hours from memory (one to one). Perhaps suggest it as a means of making the most of his new purchase etc.

7. It's unclear to me whether 'go for a ride with him' means (a) you on your bike and him on his or (b) you as a pillion on his bike: posters above seem to have taken it both ways. I'd run a mile from (b), and even treat (a) with some caution... if he's the kind of person who gets annoyed rather than take advice (as it seems from this story), you're not going to be able to help him much, and have an excellent chance of being there to share the trauma when he comes unstuck.

8. Or suggest his wife buy him an advanced training course as a birthday present or something! He has a good time, he's safer, she should be happier about that, and you've done your bit.

9. Pansies

10. So you're stepping up for the pillion seat on the R1 with the utterly inexperienced pilot?

Dude, your huge brass ones won't fit on that tiny sportsbike pillion slab. :p

11. +1

Having gone from a postie to a z1000 some 30 years ago....its all in the head and wrist.

12. He's either going to have the meanest fattest chicken strips that would feed a small country, or there's going to be a rider down thread up here soon.

+1 for the rider training course. It will either teach him what he's bitten off or it will teach him to ride the damn thing, but it'll teach him.

He's already shown he's not prepared to listen to you, but then again may be he has, and it's taking a little while to sink in.

13. Sorry i didn't mean as pillion, i don't have that much of a death wish.

14. I agree but I think the main concern is his lack of experience not just the size the of the step up. Can I ask how long did you have the postie for and how many K's? and how closely does it compare to someone who has not set foot on a bike for the whole period of his P's?

Does raise some concerns for me, call me a pansy or whatever I'm still concerned for his safety and to draw a very long bow the perception the wider community has about bikes when its the few that perhaps overestimate their ability or self control.

15. +1

I bought a 1000cc myself after not riding anything for 8yrs.

If you aren't a gumby and are somewhat sensible i don't see the issue.

16. I think the issue raised by the story is precisely his gumbosity, though: someone who doesn't listen and thinks he has nothing to learn is not the right person to make this kind of step, whereas your nickname itself proclaims that you are. ;)

17. R1's are pretty gutless things until about 7-8000rpm then things get very interesting very quickly. If he keeps the revs down he should be alright if not he is going to find out how much he has to learn and hopefully it won't be to painful.

18. ...and it could be a case of apples to oranges with the litre bikes. There are V-stroms and then there are R1s.

19. I'm going to get his wife to buy him a rider course and hope he goes to it and that he learns something.

20. Arranging to go for a ride on the back after knowing this seems madder still to me. I wouldn't go near it with a ten foot barge poll, and he should have the sense not to want to take a pillion till he's gotten very very used to the bike.

Here's hoping he lands softly.