Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you / do you allow your kids to ride

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Ghibli, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Hi guys
    I have been thinking about this issue for a while, as I have two little boys and it is only a matter of time before this will become a real headache.

Do you/would you allow your kids to ride a bike when the time comes?
    Would you allow them to get on the road on a bike after all the bike accidents you have had / seen / heard about?

I know that if I say no, they certainly will say "But you ride a bike, so why you can and I can't?" And this fair enough. But I remember when I started riding 29 years ago, my attitude on the road was very different from what it is now, and to tell the truth, I am lucky today to be still in one piece. But not everybody has the same luck.

You may trust your kids completely about anything, but that may still not prevent them from being hit for six by a cager talking on a mobile phone or changing a CD while driving. Once that happens, it is really irrelevant whether you were right or wrong - you just have to cope with the consequences in terms of broken bones, and possible loss of life. :roll:

2. I am not a parent, but i do know my parents (and my father, who is a ex rider) isn't keen for me to continue after what has happened with lenna, but in saying that, he does know why i chose to ride for the time being so yeah if i ever reach that stage i hope i can come to the same reasoning.

3. Dad got me on my 1st minibike at 3. Since then I've always been encouraged to ride and would do the same for my own kids. Mum never wanted me on the roads but she accepts the idea and trusts me to make the right choices out there. I think now she even appreciates how much joy I get out of riding and is happy for me to get that enjoyment. :) Dad never tried to talk me out of it and I doubt I'd end up trying to discourage my kids when I have them. :) Then again, I did strongly discourage my siste from the idea on Sunday but she's a bit absent minded. I fear she'd forget what she was doing. :LOL:

4. My eldest kids have no interest in bikes my two youngest though love the idea and will probably ride so I am going to join the local Blue Light motorbike club that runs motocross for kids and adults so they can learn in a good environment [and maybe I can talk the boss into letting me get a dirtbike :grin: ].

Mate as a parent all you can do is install a moral compass and some common sense the rest is up to them. But yep I am nervous about them driving and riding.

5. I'm not a perent, but have been lead to think about the question.
    I would be happy for my kid to ride. but I would try to orgonise to go out riding with thme and teach them my idea of right and wrong. Teach them about the experiance that leads to being a good rider, and how riding your ego can lead to being a dead rider.

I would probably finish up by saying if I ever saw them riding without there safty gear I'd kick there arse till there nose bleads.

6. Haven't crossed this bridge yet, as the kids are much too little. But I have thought about it. Firstly, I can't know what the road environment will be like in 10-20 years time. And I can't judge how they will handle responsibility yet. Too many things may change for me to make a decision. (And it probably won't be up to me! :roll: )
    What won't change is that young people will always want to chase thrills, and I think I'd rather be in a position where maybe I can influence that situation in a positive way, rather than sit back and make negative judgements that will probably be ignored.
    I worry about inadvertently revving them up and sending them out on the roads unprotected. But I also don't want to be the kind of parent that tries to block every kind of fun, just because of my own essentially selfish concerns.
    Hard one.

7. I plan on teaching my kids how to ride as soon as they can walk! :LOL:

But seriously, I'd like to get into the whole dirt biking in the bush thing from a young age with them. Thats something I wasn't given the chance to do and I really would have liked to. When it comes time to getting their license they will be street wary and will have been riding for years.

8. I dont have any kids, but if they wanted to ride I would let them.
    My mum didnt discourage me from riding when I told her I was going to get my bike license etc.. She pretty much said, 'your going to do it anyway, I cant stop you' ..I thought my grandma might be a bit hesitant, being the eldest grandson and all. But of all people, she was all for it... I think she mainly liked the idea that I only had to look after myself.

This seems like a good idea, I also wish I had the chance to experience it from a younger age, out in the bush, dirt bikes etc...
    When and if the time came for them to go road riding, I would definitely go riding with them.. to share my knowledge and experience from riding.

9. I was thinking the same as phizog. You teach them yourself in the dangers of riding on the road and various bike handling skills. Get them a dirt bike and let them ride on a track. My dad always said you really learn how to ride when off road.

10. I have 2 kids , Jack ( 16 ) & Rubes (15). Jacks not fussed about driving or riding yet, hasnt even picked up the car learner book yet! Anyone who knows us will know that Rubes will be on the road the day she turns 18. This is the girl that used to go to kinder and ask all of the other kids "what colour motorbike does your mummy ride?". Not till she got to school did she then realise that Mums a tad different to the others. I cant wait to go riding with her. Of course I will worry every time she goes out and will probably be giving her riding tips for the next 50 years. I would prefer her to ride her own bike than to be pillion and possibly risk her life with someone else. You know my greater worry with the kids is them getting into a car with a drunk/reckless driver. We can teach our kids the right way , do everything possible, but they just have to get into that wrong car on the wrong day and it could be all over. Thats what we are placing the most emphasis on at the moment.

11. Curtain Girl sounds like she would get along with my youngest girl [6] she has cut out a picture of a pink electric scooter designed for little kids and stuck it on her wall. She has said that I will buy this for her on her seventh birthday! I am I wrapped around her little finger? :? Yep. :LOL: :oops:

12. I love that Matt. Your girl has announced that you WILL buy the scooter, not can you? Woo Hoo wait till shes 15. :grin: Everytime we go to a bike shop Ruby adds up all the gear she wants ( Alpinestar, Dainese- nothing too cheap you know) and then gives me the final figure. Only time she ever puts her maths knowledge into practice. :roll: Most miffed when I bought her some ( shock horror) Motodry boots on the weekend. She had the new A.Stars already off the shelf and on her feet. Dont think so! :shock:

13. When I decided to go for my Learners, it prompted my daughter (then 29) to re-sit her Learners (and get a baby blade). I'm due to finish my 12 month probation at the end of Feb. I've been incident free (yeah, I know it's a scoot but that's 15 months of weekday commuting!) and she has had one slow speed off (tram tracks + looking at the tram tracks + grabbing front brake) and one zero speed off (foot on slippery leaves while parking).

So, how do I feel as a parent?

Nervous, but tolerant. If I don't think it's safe for her, why am I two-wheeling? That would be the classic double standard of "do as I say, not as I do".

We do share experiences and news, I keep her informed with some of the things I read here (haven't persuaded her to sign up yet - at least, I don't think she has ;) ) and we talk about weather & road conditions.

I've had to adopt the philosophy of the turtle dad in Finding Nemo - you just have to trust them to try.

Dave

PS ask me this in a month when she starts looking at 600s !

14. I agree with this idea, I have been riding dirt bikes and God for bid should I say horses since I was young. And the best advise my dad gave me if you fall off get straight back on. I did even when I put 10 stitches in my head at the age of 10. Now I have done the same with my kids they have been riding since they were 5. In the paddock, on dirt tracks etc. They see it as another fun thing to do and they have benifit of both mine and Rays experiences.

If they choose to ride on the road when they are older I will definatley support them, its a great experience as we all know.

15. Had this exact question this morning as my 5yr old boy put on his SHIFT jumper.

son - "Dad I need a motorbike coz I've got a motorbike top!"

mum - :mad: [-(

dad - :-#

mum - Dad didn't get his motorbike until he was 37yrs old, you can have one when you're 37yrs old too!

dad - whispers to mum I had my first one at 13yrs old!

mum - :evil: =;

....end of story :grin: :LOL:

16. Well, you never really know. But when they'll know, you'll know, you know? Ha.

17. Our three boys have all been riding since about 2 years old, so they are quite competent and confident in their riding abilities.

The oldest is 18 now and would love to get a road bike.

We have recommended to him to wait until off his P's when he has had a lot more road experience in the car, even though we know he would be capable on the bike.

Too many unexpected situations crop up his inexperience on the road to occur while not ensconced in a car.

Ultimately, he is classed as an adult and as such it is his choice. Hopefully he respects our recommendation though and gains the roadcraft experience first.

18. My son rides, in fact it was him who got me back into riding, he did his first pillion sitting on the tank of a Honda 500/4 and his first solo on an XT250 trailie at age 9 .. funny cause he couldn't reach the rear brake or change gear so I got him into 2nd and slid off the back, when he wanted to stop riding around the paddock, he had to steer close to me, apply front brake and stall it, I would then make a quick grab for the bike before it fell over.......

I should add that not only does my son ride, but so did my dad .. this is him on his 600cc Panther c35906bb.

19. :-k Maybe I can get my dad back into riding.. Would be so awesome if he did.

20. My 16yo hss just got a zzr 250 which we are reserecting together. As each part comes off the bike we talk about its function and the what ifs if it fails. We also talk about riding physics ie if "x" happens how would doing "y" effect the situation, load ditribution for carying loaded gearsack, the importance of tyre pressures etc.
    I believe that most people that are taught that to drive a cage these days you dont need to know whats going on under the bonnet, but with a bike your life depends on knowing whats going on between your legs.

At the moment he is on his Ls in a cage and we are teaching him the fundamentals such as cages that are asleep in the gutter are the most dangerous of creatures, entry into corners, the workings of roundabouts etc.

We plan for him to do as many H.A.R.T. programs as possible before he goes for his Ls we also plan for him to get his bike and car license at the same time this way if he wants to ride he can do it in groups, like netrider trips or with me and then gradually wean him off. However if he wants to go out alone then he can borrow one of our cages. Just until he gets his road legs.

Both he and I do emergency first aid at a lot of motox events and have seen how much damage is done on a dirt track compared to a circuit.

IMO Dirt track riding takes a lot of diffrent skills to road riding and a lot of those skills do not cary over to the road very well so then it becomes a case of "un-learning" those inapropriote skills.
    Having said that I know of one mx rider I treated one day for a couple of busted bones and he vowed he would never get back on a mx bike, he'd been riding mx for only 6 months and this was his second serious accident. Prior to taking up mx he curcuit raced sure he stacked but always walked away.
    In his own words "different skills"