Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you deal with Local Dealer or any dealer do...???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Rogues, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Dealers are few and far between up here in Port Macquarie.......only 2.
    Is the situation similar to car dealers where you go where the deal is?? as I'm sure there are bound to be better deals in say, Sydney, to acquire a bike plus some bargain bits where you could save $1000 on the price or........are you better to deal with your local wheel merchant?? :?
    I assume the same scenario applies where new bikes/service/warranty are covered by any shop regardless of where you bought it from, however I can understand the potential for personal service if you bought your ride at the same shop.........your thoughts guys.. :?:

Cheers Rogues
  2. Personally, wherever I live I prefer to support the local guy, but they still have to be competitive.

If it was going to save me a grand, then I would DEFINITELY buy in Sydney then make friends with the local guy so he looks after me when it comes to servicing. :grin:

Butz. :beer:
  3. Show the local dealer the Sydney price and ask if he can help you to buy locally, as you'd prefer to bring it back to him for service etc.

If all he has to do is match [not beat] the other price, he'll probably do it.
    If he knows he'll get all your service work; he's even more likely to do it.

If you've done the homework already and it's an easy sale, he shouldn't have a problem with a discount.
    It's better to sell a bike and make $100 than not sell one at all.
  4. +1 on Ktulu. Give your local the opportunity and buy from where you get the best deal (taking distance/time into account). I did that with the car I bought 7 months ago. My local (1.5km from my place) didn't want to play ball so I went 25km down the road and got $2k better.
  5. There's also the question of which brand bike do you want? You may find that you have to go to Taree, Wauchope or Coffs simply to get the bike you're after, if that's the case then you might as well look in Newcastle or Sydney.
  6. Defo go in and have a chat to the guy, do some homework first on prices in Syd ect so you have an idea of what they are asking.

Some dealers are very friendly and reasonable, the others are just pain in the butt.

But at the end of the day, you got the cash so you got the power.
  7. I bought my bike from the closest dealership, which was still 35kms away. brand new model, not much room for negotiation.
    honestly, considering how many years I'd wanted this bike, they managed to make it a memorably SHITE experience

and then their workshop more than DOUBLED the price of a top-end rebuild that a (qualified Aprilia) shop I'd never dealt with or bought a bike from quoted me for after one phonecall.

I got burnt.
    so ah, stay away from the Great Western Highway, kids

and if you own a bike dealership with an alliterated name featuring "B", I hope you wake up now at 3am with burning fcuking ears and a cold fcuking sweat
  8. Because the next dealer is two and a half hours away I decided that I would have to save over a grand.

I bought localy and because I bought the bike from them I usualy get a discount when I go back for accessories.

I would shop around, but it all depends on on how much the convenience of buying localy is worth to you.

9. I had a trade in on my 1400GTR so I went to where the test rides were happening. one dealer missed out, local to where I live, but they made all the right talk but had nothing to ride when i got there... pure BS. :(
    So did the dealer hop, only did 3 after that.

One traded at book price.

One gave me a very good price, but they were too far to service etc, so I took the best deal to my (local to work) dealer with whom I'd formed a relationship with. They knew I had a big accessory lust and they would gain from the services, and bettered the trade by $1G.
    Only took 2 Saturdays; now its 2 minutes walk from work, and so far good service! :grin:

As was said earlier, make yourself known to the local chap, but tell them you will be shopping around but end up with him for service and accessories, they'll get more in the long run if they do it right.

10. When I bought my new 03 GSXR1000, I shopped by phone with all of the Sydney Suzuki Dealers, some said come in and see us before they would give a reasonable price, some were prepared to deal over the phone.

I told all of them I have cash in my pocket, and can pay immediately into their bank account or in person. I was surprised at how many dealers expected me to drive all over Sydney to see them before they wanted to talk turkey. I knew what I wanted and it was a no brainer sale for them, but some were still not prepared to deal by phone, even after I pointed out that I was not going to waste my time driving for 3 days to every dealer just for a price, I basically told them if you won't deal by phone, you lose.

After all of my phone calls, I started calling QLD dealers. I ended up getting a price from Sunstate MC in Maroochydore that was $1600 better than any other dealer I had spoken to. I got the bike unregistered and even after shipping and NSW rego, I saved that $1600.

They were happy to deal by phone, and they knew it was simply a case of getting the price right to win the sale.
    I would never deal with any dealer who expected me to front up to get a reasonable price, and when buying new, I have no loyalty to a local dealer because they are all selling the same apples.
  11. I'm in a similar position. One dealer in one town sells Hondas and Yamahas. Dealer next town over (5 mins) sells Kawasakis and a third dealer 20 mins away sells Suzukis.

Because of the lower sales compared to larger city dealers they cannot offer the same price breaks. But then you have to take into account the distance to go back and forth when negotiating, etc.. I'd buy local, myself if I was in the market for a new bike (I don't buy used bikes from dealers) if the price was within say, 10 percent of what the city mobs ask.

The benefit too wich buying locally is that the dealer is mroe likely to give you better service than if you buy elsewhere then bring it there and expect him to fall over backwards to help you, particularly if a warranty issue arises.

Car dealers are different because even in smaller towns they are still usually fairly big concerns, compared to bike shops.

Of course, if the local shop can't get the bike that you want, then when you rock up with it, after having got it elsewhere, then he shouldn't really grumble about not "buying locally".

When it comes to consumer goods, though, I'll buy locally where possible, but have no problems looking further afield if the local shops don't have what I want but say, "we can get it in for you, but it will be two weeks", then I'll head down to Fountain Gate or whereever.

Larger items that require transport, say, furniture, may be cheaper bought locally, due to the cost of getting a courier to transport it to your house. For those who live in MEL, SYD or wherever that's not an issue.
  12. I live in a country town and I have similar issues. Some new bikes I've bought in Melbourne and others in Bendigo.

There are pluses and minuses to each approach, but one consistent trend I've noticed is that if I buy in the city then I can expect that service levels at the country dealer will drop a notch or two.

Not the quality of the work, just when (and sometimes if) they'll actually do it.

They can (and mostly do) give first preference for service time (and effort) to people who buy their bikes from them (understandable but frustrating at times).