Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you buy one?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Zealt, Apr 24, 2009.

1. .. if I had everything else.....
  2. Opening statement !
    I don't think they did their homework to well on this report, "Not much power !" maybe not this electric Motard, but the 'real' ones have plenty of up and go :twisted:
    As for the crazy bit ? nah .... :? :LOL:
  3. I saw the word 'electric' in the URL so didn't bother reading the article :p

Seriously though, why are we turning to electricity when (in this country, at least) it comes from coal? If it were green energy I'd marginally agree that it might be a step in the right direction, but I'd still rather a dirty (yet quite light and economical) two-stroke with a catalyser bunged on the end.

Give me a range of 300km+ and a top speed of 130km/h+ and I might be interested. Good concept, bad reality.

Cheers - boingk
  4. and they are talking about in town fun, and monos, but I don't thing it would have the power to get up on the back wheel. Remembering there is no clutch and no power.
  5. Only 30 peak horsepower in the street supermoto, sure, but you're forgetting that electric motors have monstrous off-the-line torque. It weighs 2/3rds of what a VTR250 weighs, too, and they can get it up. :)

FWIW, the 20hp-peak dirtbike (Zero X) had no problem performing wheelies in test-rides... though it's geared a bit shorter with a dinnerplate for a rear sprocket.

I think it'd be great fun as a commuter bike. The $9000USD pricetag is a bit wince-worthy, but on the other hand... Electricity costs next to nothing, and maintenance would be tyres/chain and that's about it really. Not sure if they're using a brushed motor or brushless, but either way it should have good use before rebuild.
  6. And full torque from 0RPM
    With a Motard style frame with the high centre of gravity, and the sort of torque modern electric engines put out I can easily see one lifting the front wheel from a standing start.
    Power doesn’t cause mono’s Torque does
  7. I will say, the Zero X and Zero S have my admiration because they're probably the first electric motorcycle which:
    * Isn't a purpose-built record breaker (Killacycle, LSR electric bikes)
    * Isn't a one-off $40,000 experimental 'just to show we could'
    * Isn't lost in prototype hell
    * Isn't a radiosity-rendered concept picture on Gizmodo
    * Isn't a home-built conversion with insipid performance (apologies to the DIYers!)
    * Doesn't weigh 300 kilograms due to batteries
    * Isn't a bicycle with an electric motor conversion dressed up to look like a fake Vespa, complete with vestigial pedals to get around roadworthiness and registration

* Is for sale now
    * Looks like it actually turns, handles and performs just like a 'real bike'.

Admittedly it's only got the performance of a strong 250cc bike, and the range is still somewhat limited, as with all electric vehicles... But it's the closest thing so far to a "real" electric motorcycle.

Vectrix is probably the other contender, but they're scooters, not motorcycles. ;)
  8. this is a fantastically good thing.

technological product leaders are rarely cheap. Once a few thousand of these things sell, the economies of scale to produce parts improve dramatically.

loads of people justify riding a bike because its more energy efficient than a car, while being a bucket of fun at the same time. this takes it one step further, and will appeal to a lot of people.

The popularity of the Prius is an example of why this bike will sell. The Prius costs vastly more than any other small-medium car >45k vs >16k, but they sell like hotcakes. Funnily enough, some of the recent small cars get energy efficiencies approaching the prius, especially when you consider the additional energy spent over the life of the vehicle.

Vehicles like this will lead to better variants, particularly when competition from rival manufacturers comes in to play. In the meantime, heavier restrictions on inefficient vehicles (over the vehicle lifetime - construction, use, and disposal) will lead to an improvement in the environmental impact of personal transportation by making the 'green' variants more accessible and desirable for the consumer.
  9. I know the whole torque thing with electric motors, it just did not seem that inspiring in the video. And where it looks they have placed the batteries would make it hard to get up.

I think I am just a bit too much of a hooligan for this bike.
  10. Expected uglier when I read Electric!
  11. What's the point?

Electric vehicles aren't green. 6.77 billion people riding around on electric bikes and driving electric cars isn't going to be a solution to anything.

I'd like to take the opportunity to quote Norway's consumer ombudsman-

Norway's consumer ombudsman has targeted automakers who claim that their cars are "green", "clean" or "environmentally friendly" with some of the world's strictest advertising guidelines. Consumer Ombudsman official Bente Øverli said: "Cars cannot do anything good for the environment except less damage than others."

Personal transport is always going to be a dead end.

I want one of these though

12. maybe for a country like Norway...

actually, they'd probably still need a degree of personal transport.

centralised (even non-renewable) power generation kicks ass over the inneficient motors we have in our cars and bikes. the conception that 'green' must be zero impact doesnt help a great deal. we can all sit back and winge that its so hard to go 'totally green' and 'zero environmental footprint' because even electric vehicles arent 'green', or we can take steps to reduce our footprint as much as we individually can.

You can clench your but and hope to not let out any methane, or you can change your mode of transport to a less-polluting method.
  13. Won't you have to replace the batteries every couple of years though?
  14. Yes, though every couple of years the energy density and performance of batteries improves quite a bit; By the time it needs to be replaced, the vehicle's new battery pack could have become cheaper/smaller+lighter/greater-capacity than the one originally supplied.

15. Whoever wrote that article is ill-informed, out of date, and writes from a clearly biased perspective. There's no name to the article, so we can't pin down their motives, but much of the argument is nothing more than scaremongering and justification for the continued use of petroleum.

I totally agree that we need further advances in battery technology and fabrication methods to improve the build-energy-cost of these advanced vehicles.

I also agree that our cities have vastly insufficient public/mass-transport infrastructure and that this would solve a big part of the problem, but highly efficient personal transportation is required as part of the overall transportation-mix for situations where mass-transport can't provide.
  16. The 'dog and lemon guide' that's written all over the article?

They're a car buyers guide.

I don't know how you made the reading that they were advocating the continuation of petroleum powered personal transport.

The motives of the source are, they're a car buyers guide. They make a living from testing and reviewing new cars.

They are also strongly against unsustainable personal transport, and promote public transport, in that and a number of other essays.

Personal transport is necessary on a limited scale. The main reason we need private transport is because of the flawed design of our living spaces. The population density in many parts of our cities is way too low. Public transport would be much more viable if our population had a denser distribution.
  17. 'Dog and Lemon Guide' isn't a person is it? It was founded by Clive Matthew-Wilson, sure, but that doesn't mean he has written every article.

Population density 'is what is is'. We need sustainable transport to suit the current situation. Longer-term plans for higher density living would be great for the situation in the longer-term, but its a slow process compared to the life-cycle of a model of modern car.
  18. It's a book. They're not host to random partisan opinions. There is no suggestion they're beholden to the car industry. They're extremely critical of the car industry in all their work, which is quite progressive for a car buyers guide, e.g. http://www.dogandlemon.com/media/General Comments PDF/The Dream Merchants.pdf

It's a team of writers, compiled by an editor. If you read the other essays avaible on their website or print edition, they present a unified opinion, representative of their editorial team.

Not really, you can change planning legislation and effect immediate change. Development with come swiftly if there's profit to be made.

You can also stop subsiding unviable rural communities.