Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you buy a bike from interstate?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Scottatron, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Yes

2. No

0 vote(s)
  3. You're not the boss of me

0 vote(s)
  1. Hello All,

Some fellow Netriderian advice needed. I am looking at purchasing a 600, and have found quite a few nice ones out there..........problem is "out there" seems to be in another state.

has anyone done this before?

It seems there are alot of costs involved (Transport/rego transfer/duty etc)....

Edit: I should add, going there and riding back is not an option, so essentially it would be "sight unseen" except for pictures etc.
  2. Bought my xj600 interstate from QLD. It was no drama at all. 4 hr car ride to Bribie Island with a trailer on the back, blue slip, rego, and off I go...
  3. I went on holiday to QLD years ago with the intention of buying my 600. We drove up and had three weeks up there, during which time, I test rode many bikes and ended up buying a really clean bike for much less than I would have paid down here. Towed it home by hiring an interstate bike trailer (those ones you can hire in one state and leave at a company depot in another state) and spent the whole 2 days home drooling on the rearview mirror :oops: (yes, I did love a Honda once! :LOL: ).
  4. Other option is find one you think would be good then ask very nicely of there is a Netrider in that area who might be willing to have a look at it for you...

That way if it does turn out to be lemon you've got someone to blame...
  5. I would, and did.

Got my duke shipped down from qld, cost $190 depot to depot, then just had to roadworthy and register.
  6. I've bought 3 bikes from interstate, but each time I've flown up to check out the bike (booked cheaper flights a few days in advance and booked a return flight as well).

That way I can get back home if I decide not to buy the bike.

I would be very careful buying a bike that you hadn't actually looked at.
  7. I bought mine without seeing it. Found it through bikepoint. Many phone conversations to the guy who owned it, and a small deposit to hold the bike for me. It was a risk I was prepared to take, given that I couldn't find a seca anywhere close by and it was the only bike in my price range that I liked.
  8. That's cheap! Who did ya use? Was it a brand new bike when you bought it? How much was the stamp duty/transfer fees etc?
  9. I used bikesonly, I think there usual price is about $240 depot to depot (mine came from brisvegas), but I got a discount because the guys wife works for them.

Bike was second hand.

Transfer fees were bugger all, under $30 but don't remember exactly.
    Stamp duty is the standard $4 for every $100 of purchase price.
  10. my dad bought a trumpy from WA, through bikesonly, and i think it cost less than $500 to ship to the depot here in Adelaide.
  11. I bought my 75' BMW R60/6 from Queensland. It cost around $600 to ship it to WA door to door. The key is talk the sellers ear off, get lotsa pics, ask lotsa questions, but in the end it will always be a risk to some extent unless you pay a local to inspect it before shipment.
  12. hey scott if there is anything you like in canberra i'd be more then happy to check it out for you and take it for a test ride hell would even drop it off down there for you :LOL: :grin:
  13. ok ok, so if you buy a a bike interstate, you have to get a greenslip, a blue slip, pay rego and transfer fee? it sounds like any money you saved buying interstate would surely be lost after you take out transpot costs on top of that???

14. If its a new bike, the only additional costs you have is transport costs
    (coupla hundred $$$)

If its a new bike, you also dont have reg transfer fees etc because you
    dont get it registered interstate, but register it in your own state when it
  15. not anymore, i got ripped off when the bike died and never started again...
  16. I bought my bike from Kalgoorlie, which isn't interstate, but it might as well be. I got a friend to check the bike out for me thoroughly, and even though I drove up to pick it up, I paid for it before I left, figuring it'd be a complete waste of money to drive up and not pick up the bike. I also figured I could sell it for more in Perth than in Kalgoorlie because there's more demand in Perth. I probably wouldn't have done it if it wasn't such a cheap bike though.
  17. You'd need to save about a grand to make it worthwhile - by the time you fly or train down and ride back, then have to go through all the re-registration hassle.

I've done it before and may do so again, and was recently looking at it with cars. Luckily something turned up in QLD so I didnt have to.

It's a great way to get in touch with the new machine and have a great fun ride. I wouldnt do it with an older bike that looks a bit rat though.
  18. It looks like every reasonable 250cc is in VIC but I want one for NSW.

Is it that much to ask for a 250cc thats not a p.o.s for less than 6 grand??
    I'm looking at ZX2R/ZXR250 and GSX250F and the ones on bikesales/bikepoint/tradingpost for NSW are very average for the money.

Would I be able to get someone down there who is mechanically minded to check out a bike or two?

i'd want someone with cred and would need them to hold the bike until I could arrange to get it.

19. my goofball brother bought a bike from interstate and it was a bargain, runs well and has some nice customising. he did send someone up there so check it out first though