Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would you buy 2nd hand with no service history?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by livingstonest, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Fellas, am thinking about upgrading to this FZ1 which i saw on ebay....its at good starting price.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130072580667&rd=1&rd=1

However it has no service history the guy says. Would you guys take his word for it that its been regularly serviced or just forget about the bike?

I know most guys change their oil themselves meaning there is no service history in regards to this.

So problem is if there's no record how do i know that the engine isn't about to die cause the oil's never been changed?

2. Life is like a box of chocolates...

Errm, I mean, I would buy with no service history if I could check out the bike...otherwise...errrm...life is like a box of chocolates...

3. As it looks as if its been cared for odds on its had regulary oil changes. Regardless of when he says the last one was, invest in new oil and filter as soon as you get it. Then at least you'll know from that point on what the oil's like.

4. you can requst a visual inspection and ask to take it to a shop to get checked before you think about putting a bid down, the inspection will come out of your own pocket of course, but is worth it knowing if your gettiong a dud or not, if he says no then i would turn away and never look back

5. u people are so parranoide.
    Buy it if its looks like its being cared for, he probaly changed the oil.
    Oil realy has to be in the engine for younk and younk to cause badarse damage.

6. I am paranoid cause i bought a cbr250 which looked to me in good nic......shortly after i needed new valves which cost 1600 parts/labour :(

7. I agree.

As others have also said, you need somebody with expertise to inspect it. If that's not you, enlist the help of a friend in the know or ideally, a professional (if they exist for this purpose, anyone?).

No matter how well a bike appears to be taken care of however, there is always an element of risk in a second hand purchase of anything with a motor. It comes with the territory, but it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Good luck.

8. I'd get a good inspection done, by an independent party, mot a mechanic.
    I know what happened to you last time, and that sucked.
    What others have said is good, and maybe this time take the bike for a nice ride, get it right up to temperature too.

Regards, Andrew.

9. I'd NEVER buy a bike or a car which I couldn't personally inspect/ride/drive.......

10. Looking at a bike you can't test ride is like looking at a cake.
    You never know what it is like untill you buy it.
    And then it's to late.