Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Would this 48lt top box be too big?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by kma_jg, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I found this top box on ebay and was wondering if anybody here had one or thought of getting one?
    I have an XJ6S and need enough space for my helmet, jacket etc, but don't want anything that will look too big and cause too much drag.

2. I have a 35lt seat bag and I can get my XXL helmet and size 60 jacket jeans jocks and socks in no worries. You could add a small child to 48lt lol
  3. That's a tough call, heh. :)

I have a Givi E52 (52 litres) on the back of my Tiger most times; enough room for 2 Large helmets (and some other junk) or a helmet and jacket, etc.

Some days it seems to dominate the look of the bike, especially with the sports windshield and such, other days it's just part and parcel of being a sports-tourer. I haven't noticed any aerodynamic drag issues, though the weight mounted up high does make a subtle change to handling/flickability.

Could visit the local bike shop and ask if they'll let you compare some of the hard luggage they have in stock to the size/look of your bike... Or hop onto the intergoogles and see if anyone's put a topbox on the same make/model of your bike? :)
  4. I have a 48 litre RJAYS expandable bag on mine, $150-00 Brand new, goes to about 80 litres, Fits two man tent, Two helmets unexpanded. I travel a lot, the bag is permanently on my bike. Its good for shopping as well.
    I turned it around once and had it sitting on the pillion seat, caused all sorts of wind problems, so it stays on the rack now with no drama's.
  5. Thanks, I think the best will be to go to shops and see what it will look like.
  6. I had a 35lt on the back of my old zzr600 and I thought that was big, but Bro .. that looks bloody huge.

The 35lt easily stored my helmet and boots, summer jacket and gloves .. AND at the 2007 WSB we sealed the bottom and filled it full of ice and bourbon and cokes .. topbox esky .. pugh'n awesome.
  7. Just an update on the box. I installed the Yamaha rear carrier and the box a few weeks back and it looks ok, to me anyway. It is very handy to put stuff in. Very happy with