Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Worth to do a course before first track day?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by nethern, Nov 25, 2011.

1. I don't have any experience on track and high speed cornering. Anyone done some kind of courses before doing the first track day? Do you recommend doing that? Or a chicken can just learn on site?

2. HI buddy,

I'm about to do my first track day next month. One guy i spoke to about it suggested to do a day first, and if you like it THEN go and do the course. It makes sense to me; i imagine you would get the most out of the course knowing how you could apply it on the track once you have already done a track day.

Of course, you may feel more comfortable doing the course first. For me, i'm poor, so i'm just going to give it a go anyway. :D

3. You don't have to do a course before getting on track, but it will probably make you safer and faster in a shorter time if you do (just my experience).

4. If you don't have much of a feel for high speed cornering full stop, then do an advanced cornering and braking course (stayupright, HART, Superbike school) - or get onto one of the preston MC race club days.

Without knowing more about you, I suspect under developed skills and half baked ideas about cornering when the red mist hits will be a recipe for a bad day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'd suggest doing the instruction with the ride day as I did with Champions. You build your speed though the day and get useful hints on everything you need to know. I'd recommend it for sure.

6. +1...

Unless you have enough experience to keep a reasonable speed up in the corners (not saying you have to get the knee down or anything), then you're likely to be all over the show.

When you panic (notice I said "when", not "if"), you'll cut into the corner too soon, and cause yourself to go wide on the exit, which means you'll need to be harder on the brakes for the next corner (if you even get there) because your line will be wrong.

Certainly, there's no absolute need to do an advanced course before doing a track day, but you really do need to know how to enter wide and exit tight before thinking about it. This means that it's by far the best if you do complete an advanced course first (such as CSS level 1). If nothing else, doing one of the advanced courses will teach you techniques that you really need for the road, so the sooner you bite the bullet, the better.

Good luck! :D

7. The champion days are great.
    They cater for all types of riders. And you are much better off having half an idea of what your doing or you will ingrain bad habits at best or be in quite a bit of pain at worst.
    A lot of the instructors are x racers and good blokes to have a laugh with.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Do a course first. CSS is the best of the ones I have done... Expensive, but will make you a safer rider (and much faster), both to yourself, and those around you. All skill levels and bike types catered for.

9. If you do decide to do the track day without a course take it really easy for the first few as Robslavv says try to tame the red mist. Id do what Sheeth said get the champions tuition that should help heaps. I did find that watching you tube clips of the track I was going too helped as well not the same as riding it but it lets you learn the turns

10. Good point Dylan, even just watching some videos on youtube will give you the right idea. I think you need that, a direction for what you should be doing. Body position for example is something often misunderstood etc.

11. i just did my first track day and i havent done any training, ive been meaning to do both for a while!

i took it really easy the first half of the day, applying everything i could remember reading/watching, totw2 etc, and just working on lines and braking, not fussed about straight line speed.

in the arvo i started pushing a bit more and it all went well.

i think if you go without trianing, taking it easy and TALK TO as many people as you can. ig ot some great help from a few :D

12. Assuming you have the basics of riding down pat, just go for it. If you've been commuting for 3 years you should be fine. Every trackday has a slow group, which is designed for first timers and those who are in the early stages of track riding.

Just pick a day at Wakefield and go do it. Take it easy to start off, you'll have a ball and never look back!