Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Worth doing advanced course in my cicumstances?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by davidp1984, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Hey Guys/Gals,

Thinking of doing an advanced rider's course. I.e. HART...

Now what is making me think twice is I'm not sure if I should wait to get a bit more experience first and then do it or to do it first. I'll give my riding history to better explain my reasoning/s.

For the 1 year that I was on my L's I was learning on my Father in'laws 250 Virago, so didn't get too much time in the saddle as it wasn't my bike.

Then for the one year on my P's I had a 98 cb600f hornet (yes, I agree it was foolish of me to get a non LAMS bike but it's too late now).

I'm now on a 00 cbr600f4 with a full license.

I'm confident on the roads for commuting and night riding as for the past 2-3 years thats probably about 80% of my riding but I feel as though I'm a bit of a straight line hero (at least I can admit it) as I don't get the opportunity to hit the twisties often.

So when I do get to hit the bendy stuff I feel as though I'm learning on each and every ride but it's nowhere near at a decent level (IMO).

My thoughts are that if I'm still learning on every ride (I understand you never stop learning) then why pay the money to do a course while I have heaps to teach myself, but on the other hand I think that it may teach me alot quicker/better and rather then learn I can practice. If you get my drift.

I don't know if this next bit will make sense but just say I ride at a level of 4/10, do I wait till I'm riding at say a 6/10 before I do the course or do I just do it now even though I'm only at 4/10.

Not looking to get flamed for getting a non LAMS bike (although IMO it probably would have made me a better rider because I would have been able to push the bike a bit harder with a more forgiving bike) but want people's opinion on the courses. You can flame me afterwards :LOL:

2.  Top
  3. Nice post Luke :)

David, nothing wrong with doing the intermediate course - I'd say the less skilled you are, the more relevant it is. IMO the advanced course wont be as cost effective.

4. There's also the option of talking to the people at HART and seeing which course they recommend that you do.

5. What's keeping you from doing the intermediate course!!! Get to it, mate!

You should NOT be hesitating.

6. If you wait till you finish learning before you do the course you'll never do it because you never finish learning.

7. +1 To GreyBM.
    Do the course! I've done a few. My technique improves dramatically after each one and they pick up and correct my flaws. There is also less to unlearn if you you do one early.
    Last one I did there was a mix of people from relatively new riders and riders returning after an off to guys who had done level 1 at CSS and we all got a lot out of it.

8. I did the intermediate course, was very useful. Then went and did the CSS 1 and 2 course, even better still.

9. Do a track day first then hit up the courses

10. Definitely do the course - you may unknowingly be practicing bad technique and it will just make it all the more harder to 'unlearn' it. Do the course then you can spend your time out on the twisties putting the theory you learned into practise.

11. Sorry, disagree with that. you adopt bad techniques and if you dont know how to ride on corners etc, a ride day is a hazard.
    Pay the extra money and do the superbike school down PI. it will teach you the basics, gain confidence, and get rid of bad habits, then adopt it and do a track day. then any other course you want to. I did the advanced with HART, i wish i hadnt , as it was crap, sorry.!and that was over $350 at broadford.

12. You don't know what you don't know...

Do the course...

13. I would do the course champ.
    They mainly concentrate on hard braking and a bit of cornering. They cant let you get out there and slide a knee strait up ??? Damm. Well cept if you are doing a champions course.
    They can pick up and fix bad habits. Its all about the basics. And it will give you more confidence. And that's a big thing when riding bikes. Believing in yourself and knowing your abilities.
    So unless you race or do the courses...how would you really know how good you are ??? How could you have confidence. By being lucky a few too many times ??? LOL I think not.

14. Having just done the Advance I course with Stay Upright at Mt Cotton two weeks ago I say you dont have to wait to build up any more experience. Assuming the course is similar Australia wide it really is more a foundation course.

First half of the day was spent on the skidpan doing the slow speed stuff similar to what you did to get your license. Mainly consisting of braking, how to take a corner, emergency braking and cone weaves. Besides making sure you actually know the basics i believe the point of doing all the above is to pick up any bad habits you may have picked up.

Second half of the day involved going on to the track to learn the lines you should take, with you following the instructor and then the instructor following you to give you feedback on what you did.

In conclusion it really is more a foundation course, Advance II is more about cornering and braking. For me personally having been riding for only 2 months but driving for 13 years, I probably didnt gain as much as I would have expected as I understand the roadcraft but lack the technical skills of riding a bike.

So in answering your question, yes you should go straight into doing a course, however which one is better for you, will depend on your skill and experience.