Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

World’s first patented rear-view helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by gsxr1000, May 31, 2005.

1. For those with helmet fetishes like me I tried on the trickest helmet of them all today- with rear view mirror built into the helmet on the inside of your visor.

2. this has been on my wishlist for a few months now... and this new model is a vast improvement on their early attempts. Any oz distributors people know of?
  3. could be an interesting thing
  4. last I heard (and that was a year ago), still wasn't approved for use in Australia.

Really want to give one a test ride though.
  5. mmmmmmm next ya know helmets will have head up display's or do they already??????????????????
  6. They already do
  7. Do a google search, should be able to find one. There's also a video of it in use out there somewhere.
  8. So....you tried one on.

What did you think?

Is the rear view as clear as it looks in the pictures on the website?

(I was picturing wing mirrors mounted on the helmet, but this is a much better idea!)
  9. I reckon it looks pretty trick, now i'll be able to look in my mirrors and look at my top box instead of looking at my shoulders!
  10. http://www.veypor.com/hud.html
  11. What about helmet with integrated DVD player??????? Stuff that, all that circuitry directly next to your brain. How many rentgens do you reckon??????
  12. I wonder if the mirror is shatterproof.. hate to get shards of glass/perspex/whatever in your peepers if you stack.
  13. Beam me up, Scotty.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I look forward to one.
  14. Excellent. All we need is a targeting system for the forward mounting minute gun and whalaaaaa, we rule the roads.
  15. If the helmet has a dot or snell rating you can be pretty sure that is covered as it is an integrated part of the helmet.

This means that the snell/dot approval for the helmet doesn't cover the visor (since it is a removable part it is considered separate to the helmet and has it's own testing standards).
  16. I like the idea of a HUD, it would advantageous to a motorcyclist as you do not have to take your eyes off the road to see speed or gear or revs etc.
  17. But where are the coffe cup holders and a place to hang the fluffy dice????
  18. Has anyone thought of the HUD being something we would become focused on when riding hard through the twisties.

PErsonally speaking, if I am riding hard, I dont wont to focus on anything except the road. If I had the HUD, I feel it would ditract my concentration.

ALTHOUGH, that being said, for general riding, I think it is an excellent idea. But, at some US$300, may be a little tooooo expensive.

19. HUD is used by fighter pilots, who need the same levels of concentration. Most HUDS are position so that the can be seen peripherally - there is no need to actually shift your focal length/eye position to see them.

I suppose we'll all have to try one before we buy. Not a big fan of the clip-on units, looks a bit tacky. I'd want it built into the helmet.
  20. Build it into your sunnies....now theres an Idea :p . They already have blue tooth sunnies, so that takes care of our music/telephone, build in a hud and bobs your uncle.....not something that you'd want to sit on or slam in a car door though :LOL: :p :LOL: