Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Workplace - 'I fell for it' errands...

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ajrider, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Does anyone here have any good stories of practical harmless jokes done on themselves or others in the workplace?

Things such as sending someone down to the accountants to get weights to balance the books, or hardware store for sky hooks or left handed screwdrivers, but maybe more creative or updated.

I imagine there'd be some more updated stuff with the way technology changes.

Any good stories out there?

2. I've heard of Butchers using cans of spray sharp..

Sending apprentices off to ask for a long weight (wait)..

• Like Like x 3
  3. Spots for the spot welder.
    A can of striped paint.
    I do remember an apprentice tying a large cable tie around the tail shaft of the bosses car (result, I had to clean the crapper for the next year :depressed:)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dad says back in the old farming days they used to send the apprentice shearers out to get a wrinkle-stretcher...
    When I was working at the Steelworks they used to send apprentice boilermakers out for a bucket of sparks....

• Like Like x 2
  5. #5 CraigA, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    About a decade ago, where I was working, we were asked to provide a tools list by our project manager, under the premise that they would buy the appropriate tooling.

This is for a maintenance crew on a mine site consisting of electricians, plumbers and carpenters.

One of the guys put down;

1 x 150mm ridgid populating tool. (ridgid is a brand of plumbing tools for those not familiar with it) Rugged Jobsite Tools - RIDGID Professional Tools

It got past the project manager, until the guys from the tool shop rang back to query it!

He wasn't happy to be made to look like a dick ( or should that be populating tool?), but the tool shop guys would have got a laugh and we were all pretty stoked.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. A colleague owned an old Jeep with an open top. He was relieving for the boss but started to throw his weight around. About 6 of us bought two bags of bean bag beans each and emptied them in the jeep. Everyone left the office b4 him and never a word was said by him about it until years later when he emailed a picture of beans that were still turning up. No cctv back then;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Back in the army I was stationed at the military hospital and we used to look after the entire laboratory unit from 4pm Friday through 8am Monday. Used to lock all the permanent military out and only the national serviceman were in, so we got up to plenty of shit.
    Best prank was moving one guy's entire bunk, mattress and bedding into the female toilets and up on top of the stalls. When he came in to sleep everyone else (4 of us in total) sat around pretending nothing had happened, he was not a happy camper....

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. when I was a young bloke working on a building site with my dad the foreman's apprentice sparkie thought he'd trick me with the old 'go see your dad and grab a skyhook will you'. I said there was no such thing and he was trying to make me look a dick. he said no there is, see your dad.

dad was a gyprocker. I went and told him and we had a laugh and dad said 'give him this'. it was a rod bent in a hook shape to hang suspended gyprock ceilings beneath the concrete slab above (not sure what it's real name was).

I found the junior sparkie and said 'here you go mate, here's your skyhook'. he held it in his hand and looked dumbounded - 'it was supposed to be a joke as there is no such thing'. I told him he was the one that had been pranked and we had a good laugh.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Very early in my working life I was asked to go and buy a 6 inch populating tool.o_O
    So off I trundle to the local hardware store and ask the guy there for said tool :banghead:
    Needless to say I came back empty handed :whistle: to howls of laughter :woot::woot:

• Like Like x 1
  10. When I was a printer we'd send the apprentice out for watermark ink, not allowed to do it now - its bullying :wacky::wacky:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. As an apprentice in the machine shop they got me to lay on the floor whilst they drew a chalk outline then proceeded to overalls into the shape to get the correct size.
    They then sent me to the store for a spare bubble for a spirit level.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. The left handed screwdriver was always elusive for apprentices

**Edit: and tartan paint

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. in the 90's I had a job with a finance company in a loans assessing area. in a prank I invented, we used to give the new team members a message to call Tom Ardo, if challenged or they suspected a ruse we'd tell them he was an accountant with some financial information to supply. the phone number was for a fruit shop where we knew that English was not their native language.

we'd all sit back and laugh while the newbie was asking the fruiterer if he could please speak to a tomato - hilarious stuff on occasion. us finance people like to play rough sometimes.

we occasionally used the name Walter Mellon but it didn't work as well.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. It's not so much an 'I fell for it' apprentice story, but something that happened when I was working while doing first year painting trade in the early Nineties.

I was doing ad hoc work for a painter when he had lots of work on. He'd arranged for several apprentices to turn up to paint the exterior of a block of flats in one day and said he'd throw in a free lunch. Being school holidays, he turned up on a particularly cold Winter's day with his 14 year old son and one of his little mates to be helpers.

Lunch time came around and he gave the boys a $50 note and told them to go down to the nearby takeaway place and bring back lunch. Well, they were gone for nearly an hour but eventually reappeared, laden with two shopping bags each.

The first bag was opened and a big paper packet of steaming hot chips with chicken salt was torn open and passed around. Another paper packet was taken out of the bag and also torn open and it was full of chips too. The boss emptied the next two paper-wrapped parcels out of the bag and looked into the second bag. More parcels. And in the third and fourth bag - more parcels.

"What's in the rest of these?" he asked suspiciously. "Chips!" came the answer. He sputtered for a moment. "What about the list I gave you?!". His son shrugged his shoulders "I thought everyone liked chips".

"You bought FIFTY F***IN' DOLLARS worth of hot chips?!" The boss' face was tomato-red by this stage. "I gave you a list and you went down to the shop for nearly an hour while they cooked FIFTY DOLLARS of chips?!".

It didn't help that several of us were starting to laugh by this stage. The joke was on us though. He wasn't shelling out another fifty so it was an all-you-can-eat-buffet as long as you liked rapidly-cooling chips with chicken salt.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. ^^^^^ Lol, that reminds me when i used to work in a recruitment agency in the UK. We used to crooked up a decent resume for the new guy with a false Russian name, get him to ring and ask for 'Pulmeov Aard'.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. We sent one of our apprentices to go get smoko and I said can you go to the bakery, if they have a randy tart there I'd love it. He says "whats a randy tart" and I said well you're not a baker. They might not know what a GPO is but you're an apprentice electrician so you do, right? He says "yeah, fair enough... A randy tart then?" Holding back laughter I scoff out a "Yes please, thanks mate".

I didn't know the poor boy would actually do it. Luckily he went to a Vietnamese bakery and their English wasn't crash hot haha

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. We managed to pull a couple of pranks one of our New Zealander office work mates.

The first was when we suspected he was looking for work elsewhere, we dummied up a fax header from one of our major competitors and then added a few lines of "thank you for your application and interview but on this occasion you have been an unsuccessful candidate for this position" and other pleasantries then faxed it from the downstairs office to upstairs where we all work together, only to be left on the fax / printer for whoever to pick up and hand to him. I had to intervene as he was dialing the competitor company to berate them about their unprofessionalism.

The second was very similar where we sent him another fax (we get about 3 faxes a year) after he came back from NZ over the Christmas break. This time from the department of immigration stating that he'd violated the conditions of this visa by returning home and would be required to leave the country within 30 days. Poor bloke caught onto that one though as he didn't require a visa to be here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. In my previous job I used to be a parts interpreter in a dealership. One of the apprentice mechanics was sent in and asked for a Fallopian tube for an AU Falcon. A couple of the older guys had to hide their laughter as I went through the motions and looked up the parts list and sent him on his way with a meter of 5/16" vacuum hose. We all had a good laugh about that one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. When I started work, I worked for Westpac, we had a very pretty young blonde start a few moths after I did. At that time, the banks had a few spare people in certain regions as relief tellers to fill in for workers off sick. We sent her next door to the Commonwealth bank for a relief teller. But the joke was on us as she came back with one. Someone also once sent me to the hardware store for a left handed screw driver, but the joke was on them as I had a left handed (Novelty) screwdriver set in my car as a Christmas present for a left handed mate of mine, so I grabbed that for them. Should have seen the look on his face when I brought it in and gave it to him.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. in aircraft engineering you come across all sorts of chemicals which are usually named by some random number and letter combination. Anyhow we used to get the apprentices to go an get us some K9P (canine pee)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1