Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

working as a bike courier

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by vonnegut, May 29, 2007.

1. Hi all, I'm becoming increasingly weary of the daily grind spent imprisoned in a small office and am wondering about giving it all up for a relatively short stint as a...bike courier! :grin: :grin:

Have any of you netriders worked as a bike courier before? I know pretty close to nothing about being one, so information about what wages are like, who pays for fuel, what the different companies are out there you can work for, what the best bike to use is, personal experiences, anything! I want to hear it all.

2. become a postie instead! They always seem to need more people with full licenses (I've seen a few adds since Christmas). I would expect that they have a less hectic life than a courier...

3. +1 i wana know aswell

i did ring a few places they said its paid by commision per delivery most people make 20$+ per hour 25-30 for experianced guys.
    And u need ur full unristricted bike license

4. they generally prefer some experiance in the driving industry, but it wont stop you from getting the job.

i actually made an enquiry with mail call last year. i told em i used to work as a corporate removalist, but i was on my ps. they told me to give em a call when i got my full licence. i know some melbourne companies will take p platers. and ive seen bike courirs with p plates on here aswell, but they may have been taking the piss???

cheers
    dom

5. Scheff used to be one I think? and Andy on black R1 as well but I forget his user name.
    Mate of mine did it few years ago. On Austudy at Uni, broke, did it for 1 month. Side swiped a car :driver: Bounced off :tantrum: onto another :tantrum: then yet another T-bone style ](*,) then did a superman onto the footpath, knocking himself out, woke up from his unconscious stooper bout 1 minute later to find slack jawed gawkers standing over him. On the up side, he had landed on the footpath in front of a Doctors surgery :angel: but in the process had rooted himself, 3 cars, and his bike, and ended up 10 grand in debt :cry: dangerous profession :eek:hno:

6. ask my brother (Nice2bnaked), he did it for a few months. hard work, but he seemed to like it.

7. I don't know if postie's life is less hectic or not, but it certainly isn't a picnic. For one thing, a postie only spends about half of their time doing the actual delivery - the other time is spent in the building in front of a large rack, sorting the mail they are going to deliver.
    For another, they have all sorts of performance targets they have to meet as well- rates of sorting, rates of delivery, crap like that. And these days, they *do* have management breathing down their necks! All in all, I think I'd rather be a courier. I think you're more of your own boss this way.

I know all this, because I once worked as a night sorter for a little while. Crap job!

8. You will however develop a pathological hatred of dogs... :evil:

I spent a few months delivering telegrams (back when they still existed) and dogs were the biggest menace for both us and the posties. A couple of times mail delivery to a whole street was cut off after posties had been attacked by dogs and the owners failed to keep them under control.

I was attacked and bitten a couple of times (there seems to be something about the small Honda engines which turns even the most pleasant pup into a Cujo wannabe :evil: )

The only time I came off though was when I heard a noise by my right foot when I was going slowly looking for a house number - there was a chihuahua trying to bite my boots - I laughed so much I hit the kerb and fell off. :LOL: :LOL:

I've got some mates who have worked as couriers both here and in the UK. Get professional advice and set yourself up properly - they enjoyed it but you won't get rich out of it. Spending all day everyday in all weathers can get pretty bloody tiring though so it pays to keep reasonably fit.

9. It's just Honda in general! :p :LOL:

Why not get a job in the industry instead? Sales or something? Plenty around.

10. Now that should fire up Vic... :LOL: :LOL:
    (especially coming from a Suzuki owner)

11. But he's only on a Honda until he can get the bike he really wants. So his arguement is baseless. :p

12. Good thread, I actually left auspost today, its a bit sad for me, as I really enjoyed the delivery part, but as mentioned earlier, you do spend half your day infront of a rack sorting mail, all the while having your performance measured, reall pain in the arse which other wise ruins a great job, I am considering doing courier work, but...after reading some threads..I dunno. :?

That is SO true! I used to loooovveee doooggs...than I became a postie :mad: god they drive ya mad! and its not the big dogs..nope its them little AAA battery run dogs that drive ya bloody mad, thinking there dobermans and all, barking at you thinking there king shit! lol

13. It's been a few years now, but i've spoken to couple of riders over that time and they tell me not much has changed.
    Bike couriering went through a glory stage where you couldn't help but make good coin.
    The industry attracted cowboys who could go like cut cats for the fun of it.
    There were some funny personalities out there.
    Nowadays with the competition coming in and starting a price war, the bum's fallen out of it. There's just enough to scratch together a living.
    Worth thinking about for a moment. A job that could easily cost you your life, is only returning enough to live on. I don't think it's a fair trade.
    I got my start through a shitty company that had a neat trick of starting noobies and locking them into a contract. when you get out there and meet some of the boys (not many chicks do this job) you soon find out you're on the pointy end of a shafting. Beware adds that promise a minimum earnings, ask yourself 'why do they need to offer?'
    Anyhoo, if it gets you your start, take it. I had to start a shelf company to get on board because of blah, blah, bullshit, blah.
    When i discovered i didn't want to work for them anymore i found a loophole in the contract, GET FIRED. There are many ways you can do this, be creative, make a name for yourself.
    What else can i tell you? The trick. You'll definately want to know this.
    You make money, and move up the ranks based primarily on how well you can keep lots of details in your head at once. Don't go to work asleep, there's a bombshell. If you need to stop everytime a dispatcher gives you a job, it's going to slow you and them down, get your memory working for you as soon as you can.
    On the other hand, don't feel pressured to try and remember too much when you begin, if you forget things and need to call back dispatch too often, they will get shitty.
    It all comes together on Mad Friday. They used to occur once a week, but i think that's changed now. Mad Friday is when the clients want everything off their desk and on someone else's before close of business.
    Everybody who has a clear desk is going for drinks or heading home. The roads are full, the elevators are full, the desks are empty, the radios going berserk with work, and you want as much as you can get.
    If you're not crazy when you start (and you should be) you will be when you're done.
    Get onto a Thu mystery ride with The Madhatter and tell him you can beat him through the city......
    ....then see if you can.

Cheers Scheff

14. soooooo much to say on that subject.

don't fcuking do that!

ok, MODs-HAPPY- that's the clean version so you don't need to panic and delete my comment regarding this company.

15. Spot on babeeeeeeee

Honda have lost me now, unless Strickland throws me a new bike :grin: carn, whadda ya reckon Stewey?????

One day, one day, a 1098 will be between my legs. ;)

must add more google ads to pay for new bike, sorry, couldn't help myself :p :rofl:

16. Reckon we could get a discount for two? :oops: :wink:

17. Indeed, once we threaten scumbag enough, I reckon we might do orrite.

18. This is very old... I worked as a bike courier in Sydney for 6 months in 1994. It was okay, not the worst job I've done, but I wouldn't do it again and perhaps agree with the postie ideas.

The pay was far less than promised, but couriering then (perhaps now too) was a very lop-sided profession and I think my colleagues were getting far more than me, because they were more experienced and cut deals with management. I made about $800 a 5-day week, pretty good money at the time and on my shitbox Yamaha XS400 I didn't put much into the bike... but you need something that can reliably do very big miles, so parts and tyres and such become very important.

The days were busy and time passed quickly, but I worked long hours (8am til 6pm at least). The day got busier as the day went by, as I rushed to get the last minute stuff done- clients paying big to get the package across town by 5pm.

Avoiding accidents was difficult, but I was lucky and only had one small one. The worst was having to ride when you knew you shouldn't be: too tired, too sick, conditions too bad. Many have been killed or badly hurt doing it, and then the big-ish pay doesn't look so good.

Also, I lost my love of riding: didn't want to go out on the weekend, was happy to use the car: always before and after this job I LOVED being on the bike and going fast all the time, so this was purely work-related.

The final problem was the legals: avoiding the police and the parking cops becomes impossible, especially with everything else conspiring to make you go fast. I eventually gave it away after getting a parking ticket in Sydney CBD: parked the bike for about 15 seconds in an illegal, but not obstructive, location.

19. Courier work, may I?

Thanks.

I was employed by the 2nd biggest dumbarse company as a courier driver. Good-to-blow

They subbied me out to Fastway Couriers.

I worked from 6am till 5.30pm servicing my clients. And let me tell you, my clients loved me as I was always there to collect their stuff and to deliver it late as well.

I only lasted 6 weeks.

I really enjoy the stop, start (ex patrols officer) aspect of driving. Meeting new people etc, etc.....

Fastway approached me and asked if I wanted to "buy" the run that I was doing. I thought about it, crunched some numbers yadda yadda.

In my last 3 weeks I spoke to many of the drivers that had bought their run in order to get an idea of the money that they make.

One driver said that he's on $35 an hour and was quite pleased with that rate. He didn't do his sums properly.

Fastway guarantee your wages at $1250 a week for 12 weeks. Pretty fair I thought.
    But when you take into account, fuel, rego, insurance, workcover, sickies, holidays, uniforms, banking fees, phone costs, radio hire, barcode scanner hire, freight insurance that $1250 figure isn't so flash anymore
    Near on 12 hour days and then an hourly rate of around $12 an hour, they can keep their courier job.

Don't get me wrong, if you are an exceptional driver and sales person whilst on the run, you can earn 3-4 times that amount in a week.

It just wasn't for me.

On a bike, remember the weather ;) Not so bad if you are out on a ride but being forced to do it to put money in your wallet, pass.

p.s as a former fastway driver I can honestly say that they suck more than every vacuum cleaner in every Godfreys store. Stupid pack of dumbarses. :grin:

20. Agree :grin: Andy is dammmm quick.