Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Work boots as motorcycle boots?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Motobecane51, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Hello fellow riders

I was at Masters and Big W looking at some working boots like Dunlop, King Gee......

While not dedicated riding boots they seem perfect for riding : )

They are:
    1. Well made
    2. Have safety features like the steel toe capping and ankle protection
    3. Are fairly comfortable to wear
    4. And best of all cost anywhere from $50 to $100 (depending on the brand).

Does any body uses them as riding boots?

What's your opinion on them?

I'd definitely like to give them a try and save a few bucks in this slowing economy.....

2. Depends on if the laces are exposed. I've nearly dropped a bike when the laces got caught in the gear shifter while Iwas putting my foot down.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ahh the old steel cap debacle, here we go.

In an accident they'll cut your toes off.

They are not riding boots, they are work boots. Save a few bucks in this slowing economy? Spend a few bucks to stimulate the conomy!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ouch that would hurt to get my toes cut off : (

Does that mean the steel cap in dedicated riding boots are "better" designed than those work boots?

Any spending will stimulate the economy, including work boots : )
  5. They're not designed for the kinds of stuff you'll experience in a bike any more than bike boots make good work boots (on a work site). That said, they're probably still better protection than thongs or canvass runners.
  6. Not much feel for the foot controls, with these puppies.
  7. The argument comes down to:
    • Lack of control feel.
    • Ankle rotation protection is usually not built into work boots but is in most quality bike boots.
    I don't subscribe to the steel cap toe theory, most bike boots don't have steel caps because that type of injury is extremely rare on the road but common in industrial work places. Lots of people do ride in work boots for convenience or price reasons. It may not give you the best protection but it will give you better protection than dress boots or shoes,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. I use mine on the way to work because I don't have room to store riding boots and work boots as I have to always carry work boots being on call. Not sure why people say they have lack of feeling with them, mine are fine or maybe I just got use to it. In a crash I doubt they will hold up very well at all but it's all I got to work with. If your able to wear riding boots I'd recommend them but if its work boots vs say vans, I'd be going the work boots.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. $100 will buy a set of basic, comfortable, waterproof and effective touring style boots. To me that's an easy choice. Workboots are annoying heavy in comparison too.
  10. Most motorcycle boots don't have steel toe caps, I don't know of any that do. So there is a chance that the steel toe caps might cut your toes off in a bad accident. I've heard of this before. But as far as safety is concerned, they would be better than thongs, sandles, dress shoes, sports shoes or gum boots. Things to watch out for as has been said before, the laces can get caught up and cause you to fall. The stretch type work boots that don't have laces are very likely to be thrown off in an accident. I have seen this a few times myself. Once the boot has been thrown off, there is no protection and you may as well be riding in bare feet.
  11. Ok guys

Looks like the general opinion is that:

Best: Riding boots
    Better: Work boots
    Good: Normal average sneakers
    No!No!No!!! : Thongs

Actually I was quite impressed by the Dunlop workboots at $50. The good thing about them also is that they can be worn for hiking and in most social situation (like going to the shops) without appearing too obvious.

Yes I agree with the feel as they can be quite bulky and rugged......

12. I used to use my service issue GP's. My wife wears hiking boots. Your choice.
  13. What I like about bike boots is that they capture your foot, heel, ankle and shin. You can't take them off easily. With work boots I could almost slide them off my feet once laces loosen up. Perhaps tape the laces? :)
  14. Supertech R's have an aluminum toe box and I'm glad they do.
  15. Most myths about work boots in bike use are just that - myths.

Steel caps will not cut your toes off in any crash that would not leave your foot mush with crunchy bits in it anyway. Know of someone it's happened to? Pics or it didn't happen. Historically a number of well respected bike gear firms have offered steel cap bike boots; Lewis Leathers, Ashmans and Gold Top spring to mind but I've no doubt there are others. Although no longer available, their products remain sought after by many old riders who know their shit.

Exposed laces will not be a problem if you do them up properly on any boot high enough to provide decent ankle protection.

Good quality brand name work boots will not disintegrate in slides or impacts.

A firmly laced work boot will provide as much ankle protection as any bike boot did up to ~20 years ago. Having had a play with my SteelBlues vs my Fox trailie boots I'd say it was still not a large margin.

A firmly laced work boot will not come off your foot in a crash any more easily than a dedicated bike boot.

Control feel in work boots is just fine and dandy. Any new footwear requires a period of familiarisation.

All the above observations are the result of almost 30 years of lived (and crashed) experience. Every crash I've had has left major witness marks on my footwear. None has resulted in the slightest foot or ankle injury.

Ultimately it's your choice.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Thanks for the valued opinion.
  17. I have some Icon 1000's that look a bit like work boots and could be dual purpose. They are sturdy and well made. I wear them when I need something that looks OK off the bike:

Icon 1000 El Bajo™ Boot - Icon1000

18. Boots looks good : )

Ok as an update I got my Dunlop Mallet work boots for $49 at Lowes.

It is very strong with thick leather/synthetic material, reasonably comfortable and looks like......just another workboot : )

When I wear them I feel like I can walk anywhere with a sense of being well protected. The outside feel does feel a bit muted due to the thickness of the sole and materials used. I guess I'll have to get used to that riding my bike.......

Will start riding with them soon and may get dedicated riding boots when my finance allows me.....

Thank you all.

19. Bike specific boots are designed to resist twisting of the ankle and the foot itself. Which is definitely worth considering.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. So it's claimed, but, having had a play with a few, I remain sceptical about how effectively many do this. Or rather, how much more effectively they do it than a firmly laced (there's that phrase again), well fitting work boot of reasonable height. Certainly anything that you'd be prepared to wear off the bike has limits on how much it can reasonably restrict articulation. There are still a few of us old farts out there who object to playing dress-ups in order to go riding and so demand that our riding boots (whether bike specific or not) provide a degree of practicality away from the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1