Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Woohoo! I got my first bike!!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sillygit, May 7, 2007.

1. So, thanks to Arik, I have myself a shiny new VTR250. I went down during lunch and after three hours (the worlds longest lunch break) I'm all kitted up. Now I just need Melbourne to hold off the rain for just one more day so I can take it for a ride tomorrow... :cool:

Here the photos...

Thanks Arik :)
  2. That is pretty, and, if I'm not mistaken, the same shade of blue as on nearly every Hornet 600 that ever was brought into the country, I LIKE it.....

Congrats, and good luck with it.
  3. grats mate on ure shiny new bike.
    Enjoy your first ride on it :p
  4. hey m8, thats a nice shiny piece of machinery you have there :shock: ...nice colour too :grin: hope you have fun, stay safe :) cheers,
  5. nice and shine
    did somebody say winter is coming :p
  6. dammm nice bike... VTR's are the greatest 250's ever made :grin:
  7. #7 nicholas, May 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Good stuff, do yourself a favour and buy a can of 'shine'n go' to keep it pretty.
  9. Phizog, I have never heard of this...good stuff ?

Very nice bike silly, damn I love the VTR's
  10. So that's what a clean bike looks like! Mine used to be shiny but now she's dirty, I like her dirty! Well done mate they are a lovely bike. Oh I used to use Mr Sheen on my bike but the missus kept pinching it to do the furniture, so I got some pledge and it works ace. :grin:
  11. Congrats!

always good to see another VTR250 on the road.

You'll love it!
  12. Gah! It's a perfect day and I'm stuck at home waiting for a tradie to turn up between "9.00am and 1.30pm"...
  13. I just went for my first proper ride and it was a blast. First I rode around the back streets near my place, practicing changing gears, indicating (well, turning off the indicator) and turning corners. That soon got a bit boring so I moved up to round-abouts.

The first round-about was a little bit awkward but after two or three a had the lean going and could successfully do a complete u-turn without heading for the sidewalk.

Next I mustered up the courage to tackle some traffic which went down without to many dramas. There were a few patient cars waiting behind me on occasion but overall it wasn't as terrifying as I thought it would be...

While I was trying to figure out how to get the fuel cap back on I noticed a car park behind the servo. I heading in through a cap in the fence and practiced my emergency braking and more counter steering. I'm still not sure I'd like to try braking at 60km/h but I've got it all worked out at 30...

Admittedly there was bugger all traffic about but overall it was a lot less traumatic than I thought it would be... :)

I'm definitely going to need to get some lighter gear for days like this. It was a bit toasty in all my winter getup...
  14. #14 sillygit, May 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Looks like a nice bike. Arik had a Staintune exhaust fitted so mine sounds a fair bit different... ;)
  15. Congrats on the new bike! The VTRs are awesome to ride. Look better than the fully faired sewing machines out there doo :grin:
  16. haha sillygit , your story sounds much the same as my first VTR ride a few days ago. Corners quickly become a friend and with that pipe of yours im thinking you'll love tunnels too :grin:
  17. Congrats sillygit....I got my new VTR a couple of weeks ago as well.

Some good deals going on the 06 run-out model at the moment. Looks like the 07 model is coming out, here are the "new features":

* New Black Frame
    * New Black Swingarm
    * New Black Front Fork
    * New Black Rims

Save some money and get the 06 model instead!
  18. God I miss that VTR, soooo much :(
    Driving a work car at the moment - Bargearse Camry. Not happy being stuck in traffic, I find myself looking for gaps all the time :LOL:

Dan, good to see you are getting out and about! Take good care of her.

...reminds arik of scene in Return of the Jedi when Solo gives Lando the keys to the millenium falcon...

so yes, kudos to me for my OCD.

Let us know how the riding comes along Dan.

And remember, in a month when I'm all grows up I'm taking you for a very, very careful 'proper' ride :cool: