Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wollongong slow-riding practice

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by thatdarnweasel, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Hi folks,
    A little bit of late notice - I've booked my P's/MOST for next weekend, and unfortunately for me, I can't make it up to the sydney learner session today due to work commitments.

I have a handful of sports cones, and I'll be practicing the cone weave and U-turn in the north-most wollongong uni car park, which you can get in to off Robsons Rd.
    I'll be there both today (saturday 28th) just for a few hours before and after middday, and tomorrow (sunday 29th) around the same time.

http://goo.gl/maps/OO67z (Can't get the map to embed)

If you're in Wollongong and want to do some of the same, I set up at the western most (closest to the escarpment) car park at Wollongong uni. I don't claim much in the way of instruction, but the company of a fellow rider is always welcome.

Come along to do some weaves, or just practice putting around - it's a great parking lot for it on the weekends. Or just stop in to say Hi.
    PM me if you'd like to arrange a specific time!
  2. As it happens, for the first time today I had a uni grounds guy come by, and ask a Learner driver and myself to not practice there. He seemed apologetic, and said he doesn't mind, but can't let me due to closed grounds act, or somesort.

I've practiced here before http://goo.gl/maps/18nT along the smooth road surface before the roundabout. I haven't been game to go in to the parking lot, since there's booms there and I don't reckon security folks for CSC would be thrilled with it either.

Anyone have any good secrets on an (empty) parking lot that they use around Wollongong?
  3. The industrial area on Shellharbour Road in Kemblawarra should be a good one, big empty area around the Toll depot.

Also, the sports stadium at Berkeley has a massive carpark, empty when no events are on.
  4. Ooh, do you mean this place here? http://goo.gl/maps/hgqL
    That looks promising. Might check it out tomorrow before the rain comes.

I haven't bothered going to bezerkley, because that car park always seemed to be COVERED with gravel.
  5. Oak Flats train station car park has some markings on the road that someone had painted the MOST course on.
  6. Yep, that's the spot - very quiet on a weekend!
  7. I went past and checked it out today. A couple of cars a bit of the close-side at the moment, but it looks pretty handy. Thanks for the tip!
  8. You'll rarely find the car-park at Oak Flats anything but busy; it'll either be full of rail commuters or of the private cars of the hundreds of people who work in the Police Station next door.
  9. Industrial area at Unanderra is dead most Sundays. No through traffic so perfect for setting up on the road.
  10. I found Bellambi Boat Ramp an alright area, But you have to ride by the housing commission.