Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Witness attempted Manslaughter

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Fa1c0n, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Riding up the Monash in traffic this morning between the furthest most right lane and the one next to it. I see a learner on a white sports bike looking thing, perhaps a Hyosung naked thing, ahead of me but NOT in my line yet.

I am weary of him as he is a bit wobbly and erratic. He pulls out infront of me in my line about 4-5 meters before I would have passed him, I half expected this so was on the break anyway. He makes me slow down and now I am sitting behind him approx 3 car lengths. I'm not pissed - he is a learner, so I give him a break. But the problem isn't me. It is clear he is in over his head and on an under powered bike.

He drops a gear to try and split between an Isuzu Ute and another car - both are moving, not stationary. This wouldn't have been a problem for: a. an experienced rider and b. a more powerful bike.
    The dude in the Isuzu takes offence to this learners attempt to split and accelerates his ute matching the bikes speed, the bike is pretty much giving it full stick and is still stuck right between the Isuzu and another car. The guy in the Izusu is closing the gap between the two cars too!

I was watching this and the learner on the white bike was so close to getting crushed, I was sure I'd be pulling over to call an ambulance.

Yeah - the learner was attempting to do something above his skill level.
    Yeah - his bike was too slow to do this.
    Yeah - he was being stupid for trying....
    The guy in the Isuzu ute was willing to kill someone just because he was on a little bike and tried to pass him in traffic.

The learner gave the guy the finger after he got out of the situation and the guy in the Izusu gave it back - he didn't even realize the situation he put him in...

If that learner died the law would have blamed the bike rider - but from my point of view the Isuzu would have been at fault, he was making the situation way worse than it need to be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rider was out of his depth, always anticipate someone is out to kill you.
    You should have puled the rider over and slapped him upside of the head for putting himself in that situation, then shot the isuzu driver
    • Agree Agree x 3

3. I must say - both crossed my mind at that time.

But I kinda felt like a mother hen at the time and wanted to make sure the learner was safe and ok before I gave him what for! :p
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Yup, whilst the cager was the aggressor the rider was definitely out of his league. In such maneuvers on the Monash you have to use a tactic I like to call "Shock and Awe". Ride normal, assess the situation, then BAM, get around them before they even have a chance to realise what happened. Remember, the Americans aren't even anywhere near Baghd ... Ohh sorry, I just came back from 2003.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sadly the proplem lays with inexperienced riders is they just dont foresee the consequences.... a couple of broken bones later and you become more 'sypathetic' to your body (really, just dont ask me how I know this bit..... :( ...).

Once they 'learn' this its often too late...
  6. I also use this tactic! The other one I use is called "Coming in hot". Traffic ahead begins to slow and you maintain your speed and fly up the middle so that you have minimal time actually sitting next to cars who might want to change lanes into you.

Yes - that is exactly right.
  7. Sorry, but this probably won't win me too many friends, but I would have shot the rider and given the driver a slap upside the head.

I mean, come on, the rider puts him/herself in a dangerous position and we want to shoot the driver...
    • Agree Agree x 1

8. The situation became dangerous when the driver changed his behaviour from driving calmly, to then accelerating and getting closer to the bike.
  9. The rider should have just slow down, fall back into a lane and wait for another opportunity.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rider sounds like an idiot, driver sounds like an idiot. Shit happens when there’s a surplus of idiots.
    I wouldn’t consider this attempted manslaughter, even if you could attempt to unintentionally kill someone.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. It took me a good 16/17 months before I tried splitting and then it was always one gap at a time, settle assess the next gap then go etc.... I approached it like when I was learning to filter. One or two cars in the line on the first attempts and then gradually built it up over a few months. If I wasn't sure i didn't go.

I am still learning both and know it - and if you have been following me down Hoddle Street over the last few weeks you will see that I will kick the better riders past me and watch how they are doing it and learn from that.
    Agree with comments above; the first 12-18 months are dangeous as you watch better riders and think I can do that when in reality - unlikely - and unfortunately finding that out might/can be very painful.

Of course it could just be because I am older and in less of a hurry, sure we know that a bike can split and filter and that is one of the reasons we use them to commute - Doesn't mean you have to all the time however.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Jeremy
    PS Good on you Falc0N for keeping an eye on him and not getting pissed at him in traffic.

12. I actually contemplated on that before I gave it this title.... Then did it anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt and be courteous unless its a cager being a massive douche - Particularly cagers on phones.
  14. No, the situation became dangerous before old mate in the car did anything.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 'Wary' - you haven't been there long enough to be weary of him. ;) {/pedantguy}
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1

16. Thanks! :p
  17. I have also had cars try to out-accelerate me when splitting on my Spada, or rather try not to let me back in (uh look, there's a bike that came up from behind and he wants to slot in in front of me, let's see if we can fit next to it!). So far the little bike has always been able to get me out of trouble by giving the throttle a big twist while being in the right gear. If for some reason you are not on the right gear (why on earth would you split on a 250 without knowing which one is the right gear for the situation?!) then there is always the option to let yourself drop back and slot in BEHIND instead of in front of the idiot driver.

That being said, it took me quite some time until I started lane splitting. I would definitely not have done that while being on my L's.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I get what you are saying but the rider made an error in judgement that affected himself only

The driver took deliberate actions to put someone elses life at risk, whilst being perfectly safe in himself.

So I can't agree with you there.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yes - that would have been the right thing, however evidentially the bike rider was not experienced enough to know this.
  20. Really, this (from the opening post) didn't alert you to the fact the rider was going to cause a problem for someone other then himself.

It was only Fa1con's experience that he managed to avoid being hit by the learner.