Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wiring battery

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by clevo, Dec 7, 2005.

1. g-day i own a yamaha IT 250k (road trail bike) and i only run a head light, tail light and a horn and does'nt have electric start they all run straight from the motor. these bikes origanaly came out with indicators and a battery. and i want to run a battery again. i have two main power wires do i connect them both straight to the positive on the battery and then run the lights and horn straight from the negative or is there a bit more to it
    any help would be appriciated
    cheers :?

2. O.K. The big leads for the battery are positive and negative. Your bike should be negative ground, which means the bike frame goes to negative. To find the negative wire, look for the big lead that runs to a bolt on the frame or engine somewhere.
    All your other accesories like horn, lights, will go straight to ground (frame) on one side, and to positive side of battery (via switches and fuses) via the positive lead, which usually goes to teh rectifier/ regulator or a distribution block, where all the smaller wires for the lights etc will come from.
    So, one big lead goes to the - negative ground side of battery, and the other lead + positive that goes to accessories etc .

Regards, Andrew.

3. thanks Andrew that helped me out heaps
    but because ive done all the wiring my self i will have to put the bigger wires in my self. i think i have the rectifier, does that fit in before the power goes into the battery or after its ran through the battery. also does the two wires from the charge coil go straight to the positive on the battery

4. Your best bet will be to obtain a wiring diagram for your bike. I'm not too crash hot on the more complex wiring stuff, and there are many different ways manufacturers set things up.

Regards, ANdrew.