Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wireless TPMS?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by galaxy, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a wireless TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) on my bike when I change my tires. Currently, I'm looking at Orange Electronic's M202 internal sensors since I believe that this is a proper way to measure the temperatures and pressure in tires (in comparison to external ones).

I found a good user review, but thought that before I dive into the purchase I ask locally: Has anybody tried such a system on their bike?

P.S. Yes, if you noticed I'm a gadget junkie :))

2. I used to sell TPMS.

I personally don't like valve sensor type like those you have posted. The first issue is when fitted, especially the front, the sensor unit is exposed when the tyre fitter breaks the bead. A good fitter, if informed properly, should be able to break the bead without causing damaged but.....really....they're not the brightest people on earth.

The second problem is damage to the sensor (especially the front which doesn't sit inside the well) when you have a flat. The valve stem type is exposed to damage if you run flat on the tyre.

In general, dunno about this brand, but sensor weight is a factor, no matter what you get. High weight means that you'll end up with extra unsightly weights on your nice wheels (unless you find a fitter who's smart enough to rotationally match the tyre and rim).
    Accuracy is another issue you won't know about until you get it and start checking it against a calibrated tyre pressure and/or temperature gauge. (btw these systems measure air temp not footprint or carcass temp).

Other factors are ease of fitting the monitor onto the bike and resolution and brightness of the screen which affects your ability to see it while on the move.

Another buying point is whether the sensor is motion or pressure activated. Motion activated is a pain in the arse cause you don't get a reading until the bike is moving. Pressure activate simply means that it will work straight away when power is supplied (and is pressure there).

Last thing is battery life. The sensor has a battery inside to send the signal to the monitor. Pain in the arse to keep pulling the tyre off to replace the sensor when it's built in battery fails.

They're good to use and you'll learn about temp and pressure and atmospheric/road temps verses weight speed and cornering load plus of course the affects of compounds and construction of the different brands.
  3. Those orange TPMS are only good for jap bikes. The european valves stems are smaller
  4. Just wondering if members are using these , has the technology improved and really are they that useful.
    opinions and which product you are using would be helpful.

thanks in advance
  5. I have this one

Accuracy is pretty good, I compared to Bruce's gauges when he fitted my new set of tyres.

Motion activated, usually just rolling the bike out of the garage wakes them up (the other morning one oft hem was a bit slow)

I have the receiver on my keyring and just put a bit of velcro on the top of the fork bracket, holds it quite well.

The alarm is quite loud - you won't hear it while you are riding at freeway speeds, but I can hear it at low speeds with earplugs in.

6. @mexiwi@mexiwi that looks a pretty nifty gadget. Stupid question here, coz I couldn't see anything in the ad text or a photo which answered my Q. The tyre sensors are attached (permanently) to the valves, yes? If so, how do you top up with air? They don't look like you top up through them. So do you have to unscrew them whenever you want to top up? And would they work on a tyre that has those right-angled valves fitted?
  7. They screw on to the valves and have a little screw to make sure they don't come off, but it's an extra 5 second to unscrew the lockscrew and remove the sensor to top the tyres up if needed - just don't misplace the allen key for the screw.

They will work on right angle valves - just check clearances to brake calipers etc - I know one member who didn't - he only had 1 sensor when he arrived at Saturday practice :)

(It wasn't me)
  8. Yes they are very cool, Yes I was wondering were do you keep that little allen key so you can top up your tyres.

I guess they are a piece of mind thing ... save you bending over every morning to check both tyres
    cos i did google tyre gauges and that is another can or worms lol

Is there anything simple out there LOL
  9. Got one in my tool kit under the seat and one in my earmold storage case
  10. I can't imagine the bike without TPMS since I started to use it.
    Gives very valuable information and helps understanding your tyres better.
  11. Hmmmmmm, very interesting, thanks for the extra info mex, might be throwing another gadget into my wishlist once I get home from Europe! :)
  12. I use the same TPMS as Mexiwi. I don't however, use the "locking screws" as I don't see the need.

When I had my last set of tyres fitted, I had a set of angled alloy valve stems installed because from what I understand it's not advisable to run these external sensors with rubber valve stems.

To date I have found the system faultless. Picks up even the most moderate change in tyre pressure. I'm not concerned with monitoring tyre temp - pressure is fine thanks.

Having plenty of room on the dash, I mounted the receiver in an easy to see location.

My bike lives outside, and so far the receiver has proven itself resistant to all but direct streams of water from the hose. And even then, it worked perfectly after about 5 mins drying out.