Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wireless Throttle?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by bluebear69, Apr 28, 2011.

1. hi

what are the benefits pros and cons of this wireless throttle (ride by Wire) on a sportsbike

i know the aprilia RSV4, yamaha r6, ducati diavel all have this

im only wondering if the next gen models will all have it
    and if not why they wouldn't

it only seems to me a good idea to put new technology
    but are there really any downfall?
  2. Far better response and precision.

To me it's a con but it would be marketed as a pro - ability for the computer to override your choice, it can work in conjunction with the traction control. It's better to stop you giving it too much beans than compensating for it after. Technically very amazing and it'll probably save lives but it's all very boring IMO it takes away from the experience.
  3. Implemented properly it should be a plus, but it does mean the machine responds to the throttle the way some computer geek told it to, not the way you tell it to. In addition, making any real change to the way it works requires sophisticated computer equipment that back yard mechanics and many bike shops simply don't have. The technology is trickling down and becoming more available, but it's still a barrier to messing with things yourself - which was probably a large part of the intent.

And you can't fix it yourself with a coat-hanger, 30 miles west of Cobar. ... Mind you, they said the same thing about CDI when it replaced points. I've had to fix points. I've never blown up a black box yet.
  4. can you turn the traction control off though to get the throttle response without the bike being neutered by the computer when you give it the beans?
  5. Depends on the bike. Even without full fly-by-wire throttles, many bikes are dumbed down in the lower gears to stop you killing yourself. The big Trumpet Rocket 3 is. The early R1s were. I think the new VFR12 is. There was a relatively simple fix, which some rushed to implement, but many then discovered that the R1 had a big lump of torque waiting at about 4k, and having that toned down a bit in 1st and 2nd wasn't such a bad idea. Others loved the added snap they got.

The current ZX10R features multiple engine maps, meaning more or less aggressive throttle response, and multiple traction control maps, including Switched_Right_Off. It also features high gearing, somewhat under-whelming bottom end and midrange, (for a king of the hill litre class sports bike) and a very easy progressive transition to top end, which is quite impressive. I didn't alter the efi map from #1 (most sporty) or the TC map from #2 (switched on but highest threshold). It didn't feel slow exactly, but it did feel ridiculously non-threatening and easy to ride. You really can push the back tyre an inch out of line with power, at 90k in 1st, and just trust the electronics to keep it there. To have that much confidence and control, that quickly, over something that goes so fast, is a remarkable testament to just how good a modern engine management system can be.

So ... depends on the bike. Some are going to be better for it and some are not.

PS. Rumour has it that next year's ZX14R is going to get a minor facelift. Additions will include passenger grab rails, (ye-ha) a new face that keeps the quad lights but changes the inlet mouth, (ugly, if photoChop is right) and the complete engine management and traction control and ABS from the current 10R. The girls at ZX14R.com are all having a group hissy-fit about this, because in their minds it's dumbing down and neutering the bike. I reckon most of them haven't ridden the 10R. They might feel differently if they had. I prefer the way mine looks, but geez Loise, I wish I had all those tricks...
  6. I haven't been around the bike scene long at all, but how are guys going at re writing a bike EFI computer?

In the Mitsubishi world we have reversed engineered ECU's and I can change the rates at which my fly by wire will work on a 3d graph.

Best part of the open source reflash world is it doesnt cost much money once an ECU is reverse engineered , just time in learning.

So its not all bad, but yes the main reason is due to traction systems.
  7. Hello Macca_Gong. You might find this interesting. It's a l-o-o-o-n-n-g-g read, and a great insight into what's involved, and what's possible if a technical person puts his mind to it.

PS _ pay no attention to my dribble - I'm just comic relief.