Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wireless Modem/Router Advice Needed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2wheelsagain, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Well and truly OT but I'm looking for a Wireless Modem/Router and am wondering if Netriders had any preferences or comments on what to buy or not to buy. It will be used at home so huge range is not requied. I think I have settled on a Netgear DG834G. The problem is each brand and model has good and bad reviews posted somewhere on the net. Thoughts from fellow riders would be appreciated.

:?: :?: :)

2. Good brand. Decent quality and support/warranty. You couldn;t go wrong with a NetGear. Personally, I'd get a Linksys but a NetGear is still a good choice.
  3. I would suggest the Makita or Black & Decker. Mind you with any cordless router, it's going to make a hell of a mess of your modem. Much safer to leave the edges square. :wink:
    :LOL: :LOL:
  4. we've got a netgear crackin here. Seems to do the job. Had a billion before, and friends have linksys. Have also had a dodgy el' cheapo router and had no problems with that one. It was just big and ran a bit hot.

Each to his own i guess. Netgear are easy to setup.
  5. +1
  6. If your keen for cheap and cheerful i've never really had a good or bad experience with DLinks... except for the most recent DWL604T that i'm running right now. Bloody thing decided to fry it's flash and bugger up the firmware when i was setting it up; not to worry... just connect up a network cable and you can revive the dead.

Netgear's have always been a pretty solid bet but i don't have any specific experience with their recent wireless offerings.

Nothing, and i mean nothing comes close to an old-school Cisco. The uptimes i used to get with my old SOHO Cisco were phenomenal! Minimum 12 days, maximum i think i ever got was 91 days solid connection, and in the end if i recall an extended power failiure brought that unstuck (was running a UPS aswell on the main server at home).
  7. I have a Netgear WGT 624 wireless router. It's connected via what's called "bridge mode" to a Netcomm NB1300 ADSL modem.

The thing seems to work OK, but lately we're discovering its shortcomings with respect to P2P activity and more seriously, VOIP and quality of service (QoS).

It doesn't seem to be able to deliver a decent connection when there is a lot of internet activity going on, with respect to VOIP phone calls.

As for support, well, my experience is less than satisfactory. I have had a couple of problems with it. I've posted numerous messages on the Netgear support boards. To date, not one response that's been useful for me has been forthcoming. In some instances, the questions have gone unanswered.

I've also emailed Netgear direct with no response from its support dept.

The computer/laptop ends also have had issues with buggy software. But overall, the network connections have been reasonably stable. I've had to connect an antenna extender to a PCI Netgear wireless card in order for it to get a good connection. But a laptop with a PC card Netgear wireless adaptor works OK.

We've noticed too, that the two PC/Laptop that are connected wirelessly seem to have sluggish internet connections compared to a 3rd PC that has a normal wired ethernet connection. Why this is, I don't know as we're using a 108 mbps wireless network connection.

Before you take the plunge, check out the Billion Bipac range. I'm looking a a couple of models that aren't wireless, but which seem to have a reasonable rep, according to the regulars over on Whirlpool, mainly with respect to VOIP and P2P services. If I get one of these it will replace the Netcomm modem and the Netgear router. I'll be wiring in a hard wired ethernet system.
  8. ...

I have the Netgear DG834G and a Netgear 511G card in my laptop.

The router is easy as piss to setup. (+)

But I have found the wireless range quite poor (-) Like downstairs to upstairs the connection was dodgey. And even from just outside my room to inside my room (10 feet with internal gyprock walls in way) sometimes the connection is dodgey - something always fixed by plugging in an ethernet cable.

All in all, I like it. It works. I'm not looking for another one and I've had this one for several years now with no problems at all. But if I was buying another one, I would be careful about how much range it actually had in reality.

Hope this helps.
  9. im using net gear at the moment - no problems so far but did go for the 108mbps i think i paid $100 last year for it.
  10. Yup. Love my Cisco 837 :)
  11. Netgear is a decent brand but their newest wireless routers are not quite up to scratch. They are having alot of dropouts and the latest firmware does not correct it.

I can recommend the Linksys WRT54G - rock solid and easy to setup. I dont think it has VoIP (there are others in the linksys stable which do provide this) so look at those also.

As a side note Linksys are now owned by Cisco.
  12. plus you can get 'hacked' firmware to make your wrt54g more powerful and do other things :) http://www.wrt54g.net/pages.php?p=firmware
  13. Thanks for all the replies and I will investigate the others mentioned. Netgear does sound easy to set up. 2 PC's will be "tethered" and notebook will be WiFi and at this stage no need for VoIP so I guess almost any of the current crop will do the job.
    Thanks again.
  14. I run an Apple airport Express and couldn't be happier.

There are three people who use PCs and two on Macs that use it simultaneously. The biggest advantage for me is that it can network a printer with its USB connection and play music on my stereo with its HIFI jack connection.