Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wireless g Networking

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by 2wheelsagain, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Does Windows report on the sending or receiving speed/strength?

Although I get a warless signal everywhere in the house I'm getting poor signal strength and 36ish Mb speed on the XP machine in the back room.

I'm looking at buying a 9db aerial but am wondering if I need to buy 2 and have one on the router and one on the receiving PC.

2. it should in a basic way, though the software that came with the network card would be better. There are plenty of free wireless diagnostic software. I used to use them for somewhat less than moral use when i was younger.

If your going to buy better antennas buy 2(one at the modem one at the wireless), i run 2 at home, and have gone from low signal to full. also make sure you have security on.

3.  Top
  4. thats the one ta for the reminder.

5. I would've thought 9db was overkill.

Isn't there 3-5db available? ...should be plenty.

6. That isn't that bad. How far is it from router to the PC in question? And which router is it?

And the actual throughput will be considerably less.

Also, consider what you use the PC for. If it's more for internet work then it should be fine at that connection speed. Unless, of course, your home internet service is on the vaporware NBN at 100 gigabits per nano-second...

I have one here that was connected to one of our PCs. Did an excellent job getting a full 108 mbps connection (Netgear standard). It's now sitting in a box. Forget the brand but if you're interested might be able to Make a Deal.

Also, the router itself may not have a detachable antenna. My Netgear doesn't. It merely swivels and the fitting doesn't match the one for the Netgear PCI wireless card that I connected the external antenna to. So, before going out and buying two of them, best check that it can be unscrewed off the router (and the PC too, I s'pose).

And you may only need one at the PC end, anyway.

7. If you're after just a modest gain you could try one of the many crazy homebrew varients

But like its been said, you shouldn't really notice unless you're doing a ton of local stuff. For internet access your internet connection will most certainly be the bottleneck.

8. Ok thanks guys.
    Equipment is Netgear DG834g router (secured) pretty much central in the house, Netgear PCI WiFi card cant remember the model and a Netgear WG511V2 PC Card and an iPac running WM6. All work well but the XP PC out the back will be running a digital tuner recording to a NAS box attached to the router. The speed seems ok to do this but the quality is hit and miss. Its good enough for internet and probably good enough for networked gaming but more is better. In any other room I get pretty much full speed and high quality reported but the back room is an "extension" and is probably double walled as there is a big drop just in that room.

The existing aerials do unscrew (will double check router Martin) so I might bight the bullet and get 2.

9. From memory, the DG384 is universal aerial mount.

I found wildly varying performance between using the Netgear WiFi software and the XP native software. The Netgear WPA-2 PSK encryption was too heavy for the Netgear driver software and so it was stepped back to WPA PSK.

Also remember that with single band devices, the fastest speed you'll get is normally limited by the slowest device on the network. More than one device using your WLAN at the same time will also seriously reduce the overall speed of the entire network (in my experience anyway).

If speed and quality are important, G is not the way to go. N and even better, a dual band device would be the best, but that will cost some cash (not as much as you might think though). That way you can segment your G devices off all on their own and keep the N for all your high speed devices. N has better range and the speed is up to double that for a G device.

10. If you want to record and eventually stream video then perhaps considering wiring in a network and getting a gigabit switch. I think that 8 port ones cost around $120. Most new computers have gigabit LAN these days. And NASes do too as well.

But being an extension may mean difficulty in running cables, depending on how it was done.

Consider too the type of antenna that you get. Mine is directional. It had to be pointed directly at the router for it to work at its best. If you have one on the router as well will it be directional? If so how will the other wifi devices that it isn't aimed at perform?

11. Very good point Martin. Need access at opposite ends of the house and off to a side occasionally. Hmmmm thanks. :?

12. I run 'n' and you do notice the difference from 'g'. I stream a lot of media content from a few wireless NAS and you notice it's much better. Still, sometimes it chunks up if it's a high qual file (I don't think it should though really...I mean if it only takes 4mins to xfer a 1.5 hour movie across the network, surely it shouldn't chunk up playing at realtime speed...if anyone has any ideas on this, it'd be welcome)

I would hardwire the NAS to the machine that has the tuner if I were you (if it isn't already). Doing it over wireless seems to ask for fcuk ups - thereoretically it'd be fine...but practically..

13. Not all NAS's are equal. I have a customer with a Gigabit NAS. Problem is, the chipset used by the NAS supplier for the NIC max's out its CPU at well below 100mbps. Anyone can say they have a gb NIC or 'N' speed, but the network transfer is only as good as the slowest part.

14. the mother board I use in my main machine, can run 2 network ports as a single port effectively doubling the connection speed(Dual Gigabyte LAN through Teaming) If I had the same motherboard in the media center, and the appropriate switching gear i could then have double the throughput. I find that the media center is quite capable of streaming through the wireless G, so the extra expense has never been worth it for me. I use better antennas then the default ones, on the router and the media center, this has improved the performance immensley.

15. Your hdd is the bottleneck long before you'll exceed the capacity of even a single nic. And no media content that i am aware of has a bit rate greater than even a 100mbps connection can handle. The problem with a WLAN is that it is not a switched network and the bandwidth is shared amongst all devices both receiving and transmitting and this is why it is good to have at least either the media centre or the receiving device connected via cable.

16. This is not so much a problem with Solid State Drives.

17. Absolutely! But at what price?

A media centre, using a decent hdd, with a good network and using media encoded using good technology should run totally fine.

18. If that was the case then my network would be running at 10 mbits. I have a VOIP ATA connected to my network switch. It's connected at 10 mbits. Certainly doesn't slow down traffic between the other computers which are connected at 100 mbit full duplex.

19. I agree.

If you have the dough, purchase a decent gigabit switch, a gigabit enabled NAS, say the Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, wack in 2 terabyte HDDs and mirror them for reliability (and buy a spare pair for futureproofing it).

Connect the NAS to the switch and all the PCs to it. One cable then off to the modem/router and if you have a VOIp adaptor, connect it directly to the modem.

As for streaming media I have an Xbox 360 that streams Standard Definition media from a Windows PC running XP and Windows Media Player 11.

Before we finished the lounge room and had finished running network cabling, the XB was wifi connected to the network (via a Netgear wireless router). My wife's laptop shared the wifi connection.

When opening a file it would take a few seconds to read it. But once it was up and running it was OK. But it would barf a bit when trying to "rewind" or "fast forward" the video.

Now that the XB is on the wired network these problems have disappeared.