Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wireless Charging of your Electronic Goodies.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Hi All,

As there is a fairly tech gadget happy group here on Netrider I thought I would post the below article from the Wireless Power Group. They say they will have a standard for charging items such as phones within 6 months. You will just need to drop your phone on a charge pad and it can charge, no plugs.

A few flies in the ointment, Apple have not joined the consortium so their gadgets may not be initially compatible. And a non compatible competitor product is already available but it requires add on bits for phones or gadgets. A space to watch anyway.

Network World Article on Wireless Charging Standard

Current Product non compatible with Consortium Standard (Powermat)
  2. its 70's tech.the theory has been around for a lot longer. Induction charging should of been standard years ago.
  3. True, however there have been limitations with controlling charge. Li ion batteries are very susceptible to overcharging with consequent catastrophic failure, fire, explosion etc. It is only now with intelligent battery packs that have inbuilt temperature and charge sensing that this process can be managed. The actual inductive coupling I grant you is a fairly easy process.

The real break through is not the technology as such but that a group of manufacturers are looking at a common standard.
  4. It sounds good to me. Hopefully it'll mean you won't require a specific charger (e.g. one for each specific phone, one for your computer or whatever else) for all your mobile electrical equipment and that one could do all. There'd be immediate packaging and material savings for all mobile electrical equipment.
  5. All Electrical knowledge comes from the smartest man to have ever lived

This guy

Attached Files:

6. No it didn't.
  7. Induction charging is already available for some gaming console handsets, so it won't be long till it's fully available across a broader range of items.
  8. The Mobile phone industry announced mid last year they were moving to an industry standard charger (mini USB connector of some form).

I know Telstra went into some conference overseas pushing this issue pretty hard not long after the Black Saturday fires. A lot of people lost their chargers in their homes and having to find replacements so their phones could still be used. A standard charger would've made it a lot easier.
  9. Apple have not joined the consortium

Does this really surprise anyone?

A standard charger would've made it a lot easier.

Mobile phone companies are only just noticing this now?
  10. The charge mat, idea, actually requires you to plug an adaptor in to your charge point, and then you can place the item on the mat. the adaptor converts the the wireless energy in to a recharging voltage. This will probly be the standard until the devices, are built with the receiver coil inside the unit.

The mat is is a great idea, but having to fork out 25 to 30 bucks for the small adaptor sucks.
  11. So you stick your phone/gadget on a warm mat for a few hours, and then it has the energy to actually do things.

... just like a cat, then?
  12. The biggest drawback has been that the efficiency is horrible. Only now are they reaching reasonable levels with the best being at about 85%.
    With the world focused on saving electricity and reducing carbon emissions etc.. who wants to have a charger that uses twice as much power as it needs to ?
  13. I used to wonder how my Oral B motorised toothbrush would charge on its cradle (connected to AC wall powerpoint) without any metal contacts and heavens, how did it charge when it was wringing wet! Turns out as far as I can tell after opening one of the toothbrushes, it's a clever bit of induction charging.

So yes it seems (to me anyway) the technology for induction charging is already quite mainstream, it's just a matter of standardising it across the mobile phone makers and telco's.