Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

wire wheels - special brush?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by jphanna, Feb 20, 2015.

1. hi guys, as a newcomer to wire wheels, after 4 bikes with alloys......i am noticing the quadrupling of time i am spending on them.

is there a special brush that you can buy to do them? got a pic of it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1 inch paint is how I used to do it. Avoid wire brushes and autosol
  3. I've got alloys the way I do them might still work. I use a nonacidic wheel cleaner and a soft car grill brush cut down to fit a cordless drill. I've used it on car and bike wheels and seems to work fine. Works really well on callipers to.
  4. First of all, I'm pretty sure you're talking about spokes :p.

Secondly, how often are you sinking time into it? I'd just hose off any mud/muck leave it at that... But my bikes have generally, uh, contrasted with the Ducatis ridden by many of my friends.
  5. Soak a shoelace in metal polish, wrap around the spoke, and then walk it up and down twice or so, by pulling on one end of the lace and then the other in a slow sawing motion
    Repeat for next spoke. Give up when you are bored.

But it will clean the spokes properly
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I've done similar, with strip of heavy cotton blend Tshirt. Takes about 2 hours per wheel.
    The biggest problem is being able to reach/access behind the disks. Also, the back of the spokes is relatively clean, but the front or leading edge can get really tarnished.
  7. Screw that. Seriously.

It'd be quicker to remove the wheel and put it in a dishwasher.

Those little hand-held household steam cleaners could probably help speed up a spoke cleaning.
    • Like Like x 1