Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wire wheels, rust and general maintenance

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Paragon, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Looking to sell the VFR800 to get a new smaller, upright 'city' bike more suited to my everyday riding.

Love old school nakeds and am weighing up the options, specifically looking at the Moto Guzzi V7 classic.

I don't have a car so this bike will need to be ridden in all weather. It will be garaged but I've got to leave it outside at work and it will get wet.

I was looking at a bike sales website with one listed and saw that the wire wheels had noticeable surface rust.

I was wondering if this is going to be a long-term problem and how much effort is it going to take to keep the rust off? Has anyone had any experience on this type of bike relative to wire wheels and will it be suitable as an all-weather bike? (I keep my bikes pretty clean so it will be regularly maintained)
  2. Just get the "stone" version of the V7. It has alloy wheels. :)
  3. ^^^
    That's not a bad idea. I think the 'stone' is a new model though. I was hoping to pick up a second-hand V7 rather than new to save the depreciation!
  4. Yeah the Stone is a new model. But you could always buy a classic now - and pick up a set of Stone rims later on if rust ever becomes a problem :).
  5. Wire wheels suck-avoid like the plague.
  6. There are no shortcuts if you want to keep wires shiny. The only alternatives are ally rims and stainless spokes (which will still need to be cleaned, though not polished) or an hour or two's nail-breaking, knuckle-barking work with little bits of rag and Autosol every weekend.

If you just want to preserve them rather than maintain a shine there is the option of coating them in grease and just letting them get mucky.
    • Like Like x 1