Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

WIRE-ROPE fencing should be installed.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by redrocket, Jan 30, 2007.

1. from the Adelaide Advertiser this morning:

"WIRE-ROPE fencing should be installed along the centre of dangerous country roads to prevent head-on collisions, the state's peak motoring body says."
    full story: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21138895-910,00.html

They were discussing the topic on ABC radio this morning in regards to it being a hazard to motorcyclists... the RAA's response was 'the benefits of preventing car head on collisions outweighs the danger to motorcyclists'
  2. But concrete barriers are safer for everyone etc etc.

Comes down to cost dude.
    Write the letters. Make the complaints.

... and if they install them anyway and it REALLY bothers you, get a gas-axe and take them down.
  3. What a shitty responce from an organisation that is supposed to promote road safety,a dented car verses a mangled rider and probably dead rider. :twisted:
  5. Get use to it. They are all over Victoria. Scary looking things. :shock:

Seems we don't come close for preservation.
  6. Can the OP check the URL? It's broken and I'd like to get the full story.

I'm wondering though - do they advocate the placing of WRBs down the centre line of undivided two lane roads such as say, 90 percent of roads in the country?

You really gotta wonder at the mental horsepower of the people who come up with such ideas if this is what they're saying.
  7. The link wouldn't work for me but if this is related to some other stuff I've heard what they are talking about is separating two lne roads by having the WRB's along the centre line :shock:

This I don't like, although it will eliminate the likelyhood of cars & trucks crossing over the centre line, those on two wheels will end up going over the top quite easily if they wander too close.
  8. Just take the rabbits ears off the end of the URL...
  9. Didn't stop the car just up the road from my place here. Hit the WRB, rolled over it and landed on it's roof in the oncoming lane. WRB's probably made that accident worse than it would have been.
  10. Ktulu and flexorcist.. my GF thought i was being overly violent when I was suggesting taking a decent pair of bolt cutters along for some 'hedge trimming'

11. ive been involved in road accident rescue in my area for about 8 years and the shire has put them up all over the place, mostly in areas where there has not been an incident (no such thing as an accident). In fact, in some places there is very little run off area along the side of the road ie if a car has a flat there is no room for the driver to fix it withiut sitting on th road proper.

I think i read somewhere that in countries like the netherlands they're taking them down because of the amount of problems that they are causing.
  12. I have noticed that the local authorities have started to 'fill' the bottom of the metal barriers on very twisty roads. Now, if they recognise the problem with people going under the metal barrier, you'd think they'd see the same issue with WRB's.
  13. Tell her she's damn lucky to have a man who's prepared to take action!

Then buy her flowers to make up for talking out of turn :p
  14. :rofl:

i'll pass it along... :D
  15. Hi all, thought I would throw my 2 cents worth into the discussion .
    This is an Adelaide Article ,

Living here I know there are much more road safety issues in this State than just wire fencing . This topic is only todays news as the majority of recent fatalities are in the country .

A while back there was a spate of rider fatalities and the focus was on rider safety. Then the P platers were a target .

I think the focus on road safety changes regularly .

I doubt if wire fencing will be introduced as its too expensive, but if it does I think riders need to be represented when discussing the pro's and con's. I personally favour concrete barriers. At least Martin Hamilton Smith the Opposition Transport spokesperson is aware of the wire fencing issue he was quoted in the article , he is a fellow rider and has supported riders in the State on other issues .
  16. has anyone worked out why these things are happening?

If people are overtaking and stuffing up, or just falling asleep and wandering. Stopping people from overtaking could be fun - it'd be just you and the slow truck on the single lane between tamworth and gunnedah at 7am and the only place to overtake would be up the table drain, but it's illegal to overtake on the left - could be fun.

And what about putting the damned things on roads that aren't fenced? You'd have a stack of animals wandering aimlessly down the road wondering how to get to the other side. (there's a joke in there somewhere...)
  17. If you've seen the crash test videos of them, they can do amazing things with cars. Not 4WDs, not trucks, not motorbikes, but with cars. I saw one test where they placed the WRB along the edge of a 1m drop off and ran the car at it at about a 30 degree angle at about 60kph, as if a driver had fallen asleep and not taken a corner. The car's front wheel ended up well out over the drop off but the wire supported the vehicle as the wire ran along the engine block. It pretty much took control of the trajectory of the car and continued to slow it down rapidly using the friction generated by the rope running through the front end of the car - something that a solid barrier can't do. I think this is why many governments are so sold on them. Sure it doesn't handle all situations or vehicles but it caters for the largest group of road users.

As far as cutting them down, you shouldn't need to. That is, if it wasn't for the short-sighted, bloody mindedness of some state governments. As has been trialled in Europe, modifications can be made to make them rider safe(r). I haven't seen pictures but there is something like an additional plastic horizontal frame that can be placed between the bottom rope rung and the road that stops riders from going under the barrier and slicing off whatever is sitting more than 50cm off the ground - like arms, legs and heads! VicRoads is supposed to be trialling the mod on a 7.5km stretch shortly. The MCC of NSW lobbied the RTA to do similar and as per usual, as soon as the word motorbike was mentioned, the RTA automatically raised the middle finger.
  18. Reports from those who claim to have witnessed MUARC's initial testing of WRBs saw a small passenger vehicle flip over the WRB being tested.

Also, this test that you saw of a car doing 60 kays, what about at 100 kays, which is a more realistic open road speed. How do they perform then?

Thing is, whether the car is slowed by friction as the wire cuts through the bodywork, or by the vehicle sliding along a concrete barrier, if the barrier's long enough, surely then it will be adequate to do the job? At least with a concrete barrier, damage to the vehicle may be minimised and it may be a bit friendlier to riders who are unlucky enough to come off and hit one.

The two barriers that scare me are Armco and WRB, mainly because of their exposed posts. I don't know what the result of a person hitting the cables is. But in reality what's a rider most likely to hit - the post, meaning that he's probably already sliding along the ground, or the cable, which means that he's still in mid-flight and hence his velocity is likely to be higher at that point.

I s'pose what will help the rider is a suit or riding gear that has plenty of body armour and a back protector. But how many of us actually wear gear that may hold up, or help reduce the severity of injuries in such cases?

Has MUARC or any other road safety body or authority conducted tests to find out?

In the end, it's hard to argue as riders account for a poofteenth of all road users. This means, that the rest of them don't really give a stuff about us, except for when we lane split and scare the crap out of them with our barely muffled bikes. Then they DO care, and it's not a benevolent thing. They want us off the roads.

So, what we need to do is to lobby to at least make the existing roadside barriers safer. Install mototub (poly pipe) to cover exposed uprights. Consider relocating road signs behind the would be friendly modified WRBs and armco fencing. Etc.
  19. Look. I said I saw a video of it doing X at speed Y and that it is useful at doing that. I pointed out that this is only applicable to one group of road users under certain circumstances and that that group of road users is the majority. I'm not advocating their use, the exact opposite of it. But someone asked why these things are getting put in. I'm offering a possible reason why.

And in regards to concrete barriers slowing cars down, they tend to bounce with the car crumpling absorbing the speed which means a sever initial jolt. WRB are supposed to grab the car and hold onto it, direct it down the wire and because it flexes it means the car doesn't come to an abrupt impact but is pushed back into line with the road as it is slowed. SO less initial impact forces and longer time in contact with the device that is slowing the car down.