Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Wire rope barriers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by foot69, May 9, 2011.

1. I saw this in the local paper. a quick google found the website.

http://www.lukehartsuyker.com.au/me...ed-for-full-review-of-wire-rope-barriers.html

Motorcyclist’s leg amputation highlights need for full review of wire rope barriers PDF Print E-mail

May 6, 2011

Motorcyclists’ lives are being placed at risk because of the increased use of wire rope barriers, Federal Member for Cowper Luke Hartsuyker said today.

Mr Hartsuyker was commenting in relation to the amputation of a motorcyclist’s leg after he fell from his bike and hit wire dividers on the Pacific Highway near Taree last Tuesday.

“The accident highlights why State Governments should review their policies in relation to the installation of wire rope barriers,” Mr Hartsuyker said. “In my view, many of these barriers have been installed without due consideration to the threats they pose to motorcyclists. Whilst Governments do have a responsibility to address blackspots where head-on collisions are prevalent, they also have a duty of care to all road users.

“There is no use endangering motorcyclists simply to address a separate road safety problem. Wire rope barriers are potentially deadly for motorcyclists and at the very least they can inflict serious permanent damage. It is a time for State Governments to review if and when these types of barriers are installed.

“In my opinion, the danger wire barriers pose to motorcyclists should be the starting point, before any more are installed. Wire ropes might be appropriate to stop cars and trucks colliding but they are the most aggressive form of barrier for bike riders. A full review should include, but not be limited to, establishing whether they should be banned, whether existing wire barriers should be made safer and whether all current wire barriers are necessary.

“The fact that wire barriers have a much shorter working life than concrete barriers should also be taken into account. Motorcycling is becoming an increasingly popular form of transport and is attracting a lot more riders who appreciate riding for pleasure. The number of motorcycles has risen more than 60 per cent over the past decade with well over 500,000 now in Australia.

“Governments need to ensure their policies reflect appropriate safety standards and community trends,” Mr Hartsuyker said.
    Next >

2. more strength to his arm with this campaign....

3. I have been saying this all along,
    You hit a wire rope barrier on a bike, It will slice off any part of your body that hits it,

4. This issue has been raised ever since the first wire rope barrier was installed, the general car driving public doesn't care, so neither do the govt. They are cheap and effective and that is all that matters to most people.

5. It's fairly well established that it is hitting the uprights that does the damage, not sliding along the rope. Queue TonyE for mra success.