Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TAS Wire rope barriers are even worse in Tassie

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by smee, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Been there all week on a school camp, heading back to Launceston on the Midland highway I see this gem in the middle of the road!!!!!!
    Talk about dangerous!!

2. Apparently Vic has one similar on the Sth Gippy highway somewhere.
  3. "Jeez Louise!" That's a new addition! There wasn't anything like that in the middle of the Midland Highway when I last used the road 2.5 years ago... That's a frikken motorcyclist slicer!
  4. Heah, those mongrals are turning up everywhere. They were re tying the noose, um, I mean re cabling one of those barriers out towards Elisabeth Town last week too.
  5. Cheap arses! Why can't they spend the dosh on something motorcycle friendly? Oh, that's right... We're the forgotten minority...
  6. Why are you suprised? :p

Fast forward to 2009, the tune changes:

Midland Highway

Broadcast: 16/10/2009

Reporter: Lucy Shannon

LUCY SHANNON: The terrible 2006 crash was the main impetus behind this upgrade of the Midland Highway at Constitution
    Hill, an example of two plus one. Mr Bergh says the model has seen a massive reduction in road deaths in Sweden.

TORSTEN BERGH: Now we have made more than 2,000km over 10 years and we have decreased fatality rates with 80
    per cent, which is enormous.

LUCY SHANNON: He says three lanes with a wire barrier are just as safe as four-lanes.

TORSTEN BERGH: They're still quite often wanting the four-lane road because they think that is of importance for the
    regional growth and also for traffic safety. It might be for regional growth but it’s not a safety question, I think that is

And for normal drivers I guess they also think it's much safer with a four-lane road but they don't really know the facts.

LUCY SHANNON: Motorcyclists vehemently disagree. Tasmania's Motorcycle Council says wire barriers are deadly.

SHAUN LENNARD, MOTORCYCLE COUNCIL: We have information from the Swedish Motorcyclists Association - the
    actual data of motorcycle riders killed in Sweden on these sorts of roads is between four and six a year. At the
    same time as the Government first came back from Sweden three years ago extolling the virtues of two plus one,
    we had other countries in European announcing that they weren't going to install any wire rope barriers, and in
    fact in the Netherlands, they actually removed wire rope barriers that had already been installed because of the
    dangers it posed to motorcyclists.

TORSTEN BERGH: Some countries who are banning the cable barrier but they are doing that more for political reasons,
    not for safety reasons and I think that if you talk with the safety engineers in these countries, they would agree with what
    I say.

SHAUN LENNARD: In the right lane here, and just as the curve starts to go around...

LUCY SHANNON: Mr Lennard cites the death of a motorcyclist on the Brooker Highway in 2003 as an example
    of the dangers of wire barriers. The Coroner found she was riding within the speed limit, passing a petrol tanker,
    when her wheel clipped the median strip, causing the bike to flip over. She died of spinal and chest injuries after
    hitting the barrier.

SHAUN LENNARD: Somebody who was riding within the law made a small mistake, evidently, and crashed and that
    crash cost her her life.

LUCY SHANNON: Driver behaviour is a factor that can't be ignored.

7. The crazy thing is, they are supposed to stop head on crashes, but trucks just run straight over them. Also as the posts are supposed to break off when hit by a car, so that the car is held by the ropes and pushed back onto the road, any car hitting them will still, for a short time, be on the wrong side of the centre line. So there is still the potential for a "head on" even when the ropes work.

Anyway, the only pictures I have seen of cars crashed into WRBs show that the car is partly through them and completely tangled in them. One showed the ropes had smashed the windscreen and windows, and bent the front pillars back quite a bit. In a convertable with the top down the occupants would likely be decapitated by the wire.

Maybe they save run offs and head ons because the driver is woken up when they first touch the ropes? Otherwise I don't see them doing what they are designed to do very well.
  8. I saw those as I was riding back from the Ken Wooten memorial at Phillip Island last Monday.

The posts have white plastic attenuators around them. Supposedly they will act like a helmet does in absorbing the impact of a human body as they collapse under compression.....

They look horrible.......