Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wire crash barrier fatality in WA.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Dec 5, 2005.

1.  Top
  2. so is it the wire's fault?
    or is it simply because he slammed into the back of a car?

if he ran into the back of the car and then crashed into a tree, would it be the fault of the person who planted the tree?

3. Don't know the answer to either question, I just presented the report for those who are interested. The evidence on wire barriers from Europe tends to suggest that the danger lies in riders hitting the posts, not the wire. If any more info on this accident comes to light I will post an update.

4. I'm thinking the WRB may not be the only or even main contributing factor here.

5. You may well be right, but he could equally well have parted company with the bike before it hit the Statesman. In the accident I had around 3 years ago, I had laid it down and was sliding, long before my bike went under the 4WD. For some reason in this case the police have chosen to insert the comment about the wire barrier.

6. Yeah fair nuf. Would be interesting actually to see if anything else comes up about it. It was not until i started riding that i thought, 'geez those things could do some damage'.

The way i see it from the limited info that article gave, was that he ran into the back of a car., rather than there being a problem with the wire.

cheers

7. Weather it was the car impact or not the wire certainly doesnt help motorcyclists and could have been the final straw i personally avoid riding in the outside lane where wire barriers are

8. The point of the debate about WRBs is not that they cause (or contribute to) the crash occuring, but that they add to the hazard for riders when a crash occurs. The argument against them is that authorities don't go around building road furniture that is hazardous to other road users, but in this matter they are ignoring the danger to motorcyclists in favour of car drivers.

9. Police believe speed was the contributing factor, eh? Is that the 'We don't really know what happened, so speed sounds like a good cause' answer?

Of course speed was a contributing factor. If neither vehicle was moving, they couldn't have collided. :p Grrr. Must be a bad mood tonight.

10. Is armco any safer than WRB's, I'm thinking probably slightly if at all?

11. Armco has fewer posts and they are generally on the inside of the barrier. WRB posts are exposed.

Generally though I'd rather slide along a solid barrier than hit either W-beam (armco is a proprietry name) or WRBs.

Without any further information and given the general reluctance to attribute any injuries whatsoever to WRBs then this must have been pretty blatant for the police to comment.

The bike hit the car but he hit the barrier. To me that sounds as if he was down and sliding because if he was on the bike he'd probably have gone over the top of the car - especially at speed. Every one I know of who's hit a car from the rear has gone straight ahead - ask a certain Mudguard (currently banned here :LOL: ) who broke his pelvis by going over the top of a car like that.

TonyE

TonyE

12. excuse my stupid question, but what is ARMCO :?:
    Ta.

13.  Top
  14. Right, thanks Hornet.

Both options appear to be pretty common, although i only recall seeing the wire on the freeway, whereas you see the mental ones everywhere. is that because armco is better? or just cause its cheaper? or what?

EDIT: ok so i just looked at the website for armco. Is the only question the cost? The wire is cheaper so is that the only issue?

15. I had a few mates killed at Bathurst by, not to put it too bluntly, being 'squeezed' UNDER the armco on the downhill sections. Not pretty and instantly fatal at racing speeds.....

16. OK, here is an update. Apparently the rider was lane splitting down the freeway at a speed substantially higher than the general traffic. As he passed between two vehicles, another vehicle a car or two ahead (the Statesman), started to indicate and simultaneously change lanes. Due to his high speed the rider could not react in time and the bike hit the Statesman a heavy angled blow on the side, causing it to spin and collide with the vehicle towing the trailer. The rider was thrown from the bike by the impact and hit the barrier fence. He was killed instantly.

This update is based on information from a serving police officer not actually present at this accident. He in turn heard from an officer who was present. I therefore believe it, but can't confirm it's accuracy.

17. Sure, i can see how the 'inflexibility' of the armco could be a problem. And equally i guess the wire is dangerous (as has been said). So i guess the question is, is there something that can be used that offers the protection of the other systems but without the obvious dangers to riders?

What about the concrete block barriers? i suppose they would be much more expensive for long distances and they also wouldnt absorb impact as well...mmmm no easy solution i guess.

18. What there trying to do in Europe

19. I've seen that done here in Australia but for the life of me cant remember where.

Excellent site HH and a mountain of info in there.